Watch Sony's PlayStation 4 Slim get disassembled ahead of tomorrow's big reveal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony is hosting a media event tomorrow (September 7) in which the company is expected to showcase two new versions of its popular PlayStation 4 console. In addition to the more powerful PlayStation Neo which Sony has already confirmed does exist, most believe we’ll also see a slimmed-down variant of the original PS4.

Despite Sony’s best efforts to keep the PS4 Slim a secret, it would seem that the console is very much real. In fact, YouTube user Links-Tech has already acquired and published a 20-minute-long teardown video ahead of tomorrow’s big reveal. Unfortunately, there’s no commentary to go along with the teardown but beggars can’t be choosers.

Your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not Sony’s legal department will try to have the video taken down although given the proximity to tomorrow’s unveiling, I suspect they may not even bother trying to mask it.

Microsoft, if you recall, revealed a slim version of its Xbox One console back in June at E3 before bringing it to market last month. Like Sony, Microsoft confirmed that a more powerful Xbox One console (codenamed Project Scorpio) is in development although it won’t arrive until the 2017 holiday season.

It’s unclear if Sony plans to launch Neo in the near future or if we’ll simply get a teaser to hold us over until sometime next year. With its PlayStation VR headset set to arrive on October 13, my guess would be that we'll see it go on sale in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

It feels disingenuous for Microsoft and Sony to be releasing "new consoles" less than 3 years after the release of Xbox One and PS4. These aren't just "slim" models... these things are more powerful than the Day One editions and have the hard drive options that should have had in the very beginning.

Hard Drives in these systems should ALL be USER REPLACEABLE. I should be able to slap in a standard 6TB drive if I so choose.

They should also, both, accept USB 3.0 Drives as well, if I so choose.

4K is only more recently becoming affordable, but the vast majority of TV sets that have been sold to gamers are low-quality, purchased-from Walmart, $200 jobs. 4K, right now, isn't that big a deal ...not as much as HDR will be.

It feels disingenuous for Microsoft and Sony to be releasing "new consoles" less than 3 years after the release of Xbox One and PS4. These aren't just "slim" models... these things are more powerful than the Day One editions and have the hard drive options that should have had in the very beginning.

Hard Drives in these systems should ALL be USER REPLACEABLE. I should be able to slap in a standard 6TB drive if I so choose.

They should also, both, accept USB 3.0 Drives as well, if I so choose.

4K is only more recently becoming affordable, but the vast majority of TV sets that have been sold to gamers are low-quality, purchased-from Walmart, $200 jobs. 4K, right now, isn't that big a deal ...not as much as HDR will be.

Xbox didn't release a more powerful console, it added support for 4ki, that was pretty much it. 2 tb drive should have been an option, but you could *always* add a usb 3 external and get that 6tb storage if someone wanted.

Back