Watch Stephen Colbert poke fun at the Vessyl smart cup

Shawn Knight

Staff member

"It's not magic, but close to it." That's the tagline for Vessyl, a smart cup that can analyze and identify drinks poured into it. The device made headlines last month when it went up for pre-order but now, the Yves Behar-designed product is receiving attention for quite a different reason.

Stephen Colbert set aside a few minutes of his show recently to talk about Vessyl. If you're familiar with the comedian, it's pretty easy to get an idea of where the sketch was headed from the get-go.

Colbert was quick to poke fun at the smart cup for its ability to tell how many calories are in a drink, or as he put it, a level of information that was previously available only on the can you just poured it out of. The funnyman also referenced the use of Silicon Valley buzzwords in the product's promotional video and even pitched his own complementary product, Toylyte. 

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Wow... seriously what is the point of that cup... Thank you Stephen Colbert for making my morning as I had not seen this yet. I'd buy a Toylyte though. =3

This is why I hate the CRTC, video cannot be viewed in my location, the show airs on channels available around here but for whatever stupid reason I can't watch it online without going to Comedynetwork.ca, which if I may add sucks and is slow as molasses. Lucky I have other ways to view this video and had already seen it before it was posted here. Amazing how dumb ideas snowball in to creation, regardless of how ridiculous they may be and how much criticism they receive.

This is why I hate the CRTC, video cannot be viewed in my location, the show airs on channels available around here but for whatever stupid reason I can't watch it online without going to Comedynetwork.ca, which if I may add sucks and is slow as molasses. Lucky I have other ways to view this video and had already seen it before it was posted here. Amazing how dumb ideas snowball in to creation, regardless of how ridiculous they may be and how much criticism they receive.
Use ZenMate VPN software for your browser!

The only thing that would be humorous about Colbert is if there was a video of him wiping his *** on Oprah

Just my luck. I'd like to see the video for myself but it's not available in my location. :( Prudes.

Yeah I had to use YouTube, really we should have linked to a YouTube video anyway. Just search for the title.

About the cup, it seems to be beyond stupid. But maybe there is real world applications for people with disabilities?

Yeah I had to use YouTube, really we should have linked to a YouTube video anyway. Just search for the title.

About the cup, it seems to be beyond stupid. But maybe there is real world applications for people with disabilities?
Thanks man(y) Now why didn't I think of that?:p

I can't find clip anywhere that is not 'blocked' by some corporate whiners or some other bs.

I can try watching a whole episode on comedynetwork.ca if I knew what date he aired this.

Otherwise cool story bro.... >.>

Nailed it. Why people like laptops better than desktops? You can take your laptop into the toilet hahaha.

Back