Watch Tetris played on the side of a skyscraper in Philly

Shawn Knight

Staff member

gamer delight skyscraper-sized tetris game skyscraper found tetris

Philly Tech Week kicked off this weekend in colossal fashion with a giant game of Tetris played on the side of the 29-story Cira Centre. It isn’t the first time that someone has played the iconic Game Boy title on a building’s façade but doing so on a 100,000-square-foot “screen” may very well be a record.

The game came to life using hundreds of LEDs embedded in the building’s glass façade normally used to display colorful patterns. Frank Lee, an associate professor of digital media at Drexel University, was responsible for putting it all together.

Much like his efforts last year with Pong, he considered the project a personal love letter to the games that he loved when he was a child. The timing is fitting, too, as Tetris will be celebrating its 30th anniversary this June.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

It isn’t the first time that someone has played the iconic Game Boy title
Wiki quote
While versions of Tetris were sold for a range of 1980s home computer platforms as well as the arcades, it was the hugely successful handheld version for the Game Boy launched in 1989 that established the game as one of the most popular ever.
I thought I remembered Tetris being available before Game Boy. That statement made it sound as if Tetris was first released on Game Boy.

Man, who ever is playing on the picture is not very good at Tetris. ;P

and to back up cliffordcoolry, I remember playing it on the NES before Game Boy came out.

Why didn't Edward Snowden warn us about this? Damn him! The government are just trying to distract us! Obey! Sleep! Marry & Reproduce!

Why didn't Edward Snowden warn us about this? Damn him! The government are just trying to distract us! Obey! Sleep! Marry & Reproduce!

I wouldnt mind that kind of system I would be reproducing tons of kids haha over 100 by time im 80 would be what I want but hey 50-60kids by time im 80 will do :)

What kind of sick F would disable embedding I MEAN SERIOUSLY ITS STUPID!!!!
Come on people who ever disabled embedding is seriously sick in the head its pointless its a massive joke!

The fact that you picked Crysis as your game, makes that a stale joke. It's ok, you can use other games for your jokes now. That might even make the joke funny.

Back