Watch this burnout as viewed from a thermal camera

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Few things are more enjoyable to gearheads than performing a massive burnout. From the feel of all that power on tap to the smell of burning rubber, there’s something immensely satisfying about both performing a burnout and witnessing one.

Aside from a handful of gimmicks, however, most burnouts are pretty standard in that all you see after just a few seconds is a massive plume of smoke. What’s going on behind the wall of smoke often remains a mystery… that is, until you break out the $40,000 FLIR T1K thermal camera.

Using a Honda S2000, YouTube channel Engineering Explained shows how the tread surface of the car’s tires climb from around 19 degrees Celsius to over 160 degrees in less than five seconds while performing a burnout.

The specialized camera even shows the heat generated on the ground and the red-hot bits of melted rubber as they’re shredded from the tires. The brake rotors also warm up rather quickly, heating up to over 300 degrees Celsius – very cool.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

How is this tech news? Where is big truck series when you need him, maybe he could explain.
Well, it is probably because of the high-tech camera.

However, I find nothing immensely satisfying about performing a burnout or witnessing one. I grew out of that phase a long time ago.
I don't think I will ever be out of that phase. Either way, thermal cameras aren't anything new and I'm sure there is way more interesting stuff to look at through a thermal camera. I also am very familiar with that particular YouTube channel, this is probably the only thing he has ever shot with a thermal camera. Its hardly about the camera itself.

Thermal camera's are about like the high speed photo's of bullets going through ..... everything. Can't wait for them to start up with the "selfies" of people on their way to Mars ..... oh joy!

How is this tech news? Where is big truck series when you need him, maybe he could explain.
If we watched the video, understood it to a certain degree, why would we need him to BS us? I don't think he'd understand much of the video, it's hard to make out much detail on a 130" 8K screen at 7680 x 4320 resolution especially when you're limited by three measly Titan GTX's (and still living in your mom's basement). :D

I don't think I will ever be out of that phase. Either way, thermal cameras aren't anything new and I'm sure there is way more interesting stuff to look at through a thermal camera. I also am very familiar with that particular YouTube channel, this is probably the only thing he has ever shot with a thermal camera. Its hardly about the camera itself.
There are many who pursue aims tirelessly!

You are certainly right that it is about more than the camera - more like making people tire of clicking on the channel's videos.

Thermal camera's are about like the high speed photo's of bullets going through ..... everything. Can't wait for them to start up with the "selfies" of people on their way to Mars ..... oh joy!
Well, as long as they put something interesting in the background. Except, of course, if its an asteroid because that would definitely get them a Darwin Award!

Back