Watch today's kids react to a computer from the '70s

By Shawn Knight
May 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Kids these days have it way different than I did growing up. Things like smartphones and tablets simply didn't exist back then and while desktop computers and the Internet were around, neither were nearly as prevalent as they are today.

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

Yeah I remember them well, I cut my teeth on them. My 1st PC didn't even use floppy disks, it used a tape drive instead and as for the internet... it didn't exist.
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,109   +1,377

Second time it is published here. The first time the consensus was it's stupid. And it hasn't changed.

In the meantime, many adults enjoy driving vintage cars, some even claiming those are better than the modern ones.

Those 80-s computers to ones from today are like steam engines to electrical ones.
  4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

The kids are too campy in these videos. They know they're putting on a show and act like it.

Get a bunch of kids in a room who don't know they're being taped and see what kind of expressions/reactions you get.
    Mooseinadesert, Jad Chaar and abysal like this.
  5. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +10

? 2+2
  6. Night Hacker

Night Hacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +20

No internet, no, but there were BBSes (Bulletin Board System). Where I live there were tons of them. I bought a Commodore 64 with a 1200 baud modem and used to connect to BBSes all the time, download programs, chat with people (well, message back and forth in forums). There was actually something called Fidonet which was these forums that spanned all over North America which also had something like an email system. There were even online games, usually turn based, but it was a blast. I actually miss those days to be honest.
  7. Night Hacker

I don't hold out much hope for these children's future if pressing a reset button is "too many steps".

Back then we didn't have the internet, but we had Bulletin Board Systems, so this is slightly deceptive. You could download software, images etc... as well as play online games and chat in forums and some larger BBSes, chat live. There was even a network called Fidonet which had something like email etc.

One good thing back then, you could turn on your computer and the government didn't know about it or what you did on it.
    Mooseinadesert likes this.
  8. Night Hacker

I was thinking the same thing! :D Much easier than typing out "PRINT", I mean, who does that?! ;)
  9. Retarded generation IQ=0.989878989
  10. The generation that comes after these kids will be reacting the same way ,looking back on all these archaic tablets and smartphones.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

OK! Now that we know the IQ level of the retarded population, what is the population percentage that is retarded?
  12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

We weren't that advanced, I could only send something call a 'message switch' to another person but I first had to phone him to tell him to turn on his computer and our modems were only 600 baud. Cutting edge stuff indeed.
  13. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,826   +879

half the population is below average intelligence, so you can start there.
  14. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Only in the mind of a delusional hypocrite, would they think below average means retarded.
  15. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

That's not what average means. You're thinking of median.
  16. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 571   +112

Back in my day, if we wanted to play a game we usually had to write the program for it... in the snow, uphill, both ways. :p:p
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

My 1978 TRS-80 Computer still works and my TRS-80 vox-box makes it talk to you. Coleco Adam two of them they work also. 386SX still works too with Windows 3.11 and Geoworks Pro on there. Sure they're huge but that's what was used back then.
  18. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

They want everything automatic...... even retardation
  19. It was nice when people designed things to work forever instead of making them so they break in a few years and you have to buy another, wasn't it? Just goes to show that older technology was better, at least in terms of durability.
  20. funguseater

funguseater TS Rookie

Great article! I am sitting next to my WANG 2200 as I type this, imagine its 1975 and you can run FOUR networked terminals. The machine was so well built, I still use the minicomputer cabinet (about 150lbs) to shock and awe PC clients, plus it swallows my EATX build. Also have a working PC-XT for playing old Shareware titles.