Water cooling advice, fist time user...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Would someone reccomend a reasonably cheap water cooling system that would also connect to my graphics card aswell as my cpu.

I dont know much and have never used water cooling before, dont get me wrong i know a lot about pc's but i have never really looked at water cooling.

The only requirements i have are:

1. Its pretty much silent

2. Its compatible with my VGA and CPU

Cpu = 3400+ Amd64 (754 SKT)

Vga = Gainward 6800GT 2ns

Any help would be billiant, and any advice as im new to water cooling.

Cheers,

Alex

what do call "resonably cheap"?

I built my own system for under $60, you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself (it's really not that hard) I built my own just for the satisfaction of knowing that I made it, but that's just me.

Standard water cooling systems that cool the CPU and Video card are counter-productive because the hot water from the GPU then flows into the CPU (you need cold water flowing into the CPU to cool it properly), so unless you run a dual radiator setup, which is more expensive and will take up alot of room in your case, I would just stick to water cooling your CPU

There are alot of variables here depending on how much cooling you want and
the limtations of your system and case, we need a little more info on your system 1rst

#1 - can you mount a 120mm fan in your case?

#2 - does your motherboard have holes predrilled for heatsinks (not just clips)? - almost all waterblocks are bolted on from behind the motherboard

#3 - what are your temps now and what temps are you hoping to acheive after converting to water cooling?

#4 - Why are you watercooling? are you overclocking and the air cooling is not sufficient, or do you just want a quieter system?

KingCody said:
Standard water cooling systems that cool the CPU and Video card are counter-productive because the hot water from the GPU then flows into the CPU (you need cold water flowing into the CPU to cool it properly), so unless you run a dual radiator setup, which is more expensive and will take up alot of room in your case, I would just stick to water cooling your CPU

In my experience with water cooling, usually the water is pumped to the CPU water block then to the GPU. I think that having something that cools both would be rather better.

the water doesn't absorb so much heat from the CPU that it cannot cool the GPU. duel systems are fine.

i agree, it can still cool, but no better than air cooling, so it defeats the purpose of water cooling in the first place

Firstly cheers for the help, i was looking to spend about £50-£60 ($100-$120) i just want a quiet pc to be honest.
My case supports a 120MM fan with about a 1/2 inch to spare each side. I'm not into overclocking my Amd64 but i do like to overclock my 6800GT. At the mo my temps are:

CPU : Idle : 35-40 Load : 45-55

GPU : Idle : 50-55 Load : 70-75

And i dont mind about my cpu so maybe i could pump from my GPU -> CPU.

Cheers, Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back