TechSpot

Ways To Speed Up Wireless Internet?

By Jasio-
Aug 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just looking for ways. I've been suggested a Booster card, wondering on price for that. I've also been told to update the firmware on my router, but when i go to update the firmware it sais: Step 1. Select a firmware file to upgrade :

So not sure what to do about that.

Using Linksys BEFW11S4 Router, and my cards a PCI 2.7 wireless card >.> thats what it sais :). Thanks for any help - Jasio-
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

other than compression, the only way to really speed up your wifi is having a strong signal and a good antenna. Then it should operate at it's maximum capacity. If you have an antenna port, you can build a directional antenna such as the "CAN"-tenna made out of a pringles can. Google it.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

First you should find out what your bottleneck is..
    Is it the connection to the base station? Or is it just that your ISP does not give you more speed with your current plan? Or maybe it is the sheer amount of clients that are hogging the bandwidth?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.