Waze will now warn you when you're driving over the speed limit

Scorpus

Staff member

Popular GPS navigation app Waze has added a new feature that will inform drivers if they are currently exceeding the speed limit on the road they're currently driving on.

Speed limits are visualized as a ring around the outside of the in-app speedometer, which gradually fills until the speed limit is reached. When the limit is exceeded, a warning appears at a user-defined threshold, such as 5, 10 or 15 percent above the limit, or at the speed limit itself.

The alert flashes the speed limit next to the speedometer, and it can also play a sound if you so desire. Waze stated in a blog post that this new feature should help drivers visiting unfamiliar places, where speed limit signs may not be obvious or may change with the seasons.

The feature will initially be available in a handful of countries, such as France, Netherlands, Brazil and Sweden, with more countries (including the United States) set to be added in the future.

Waze's speed limit warning feature isn't exactly new to GPS navigation apps, but it's interesting that the Google-owned company hasn't assisted the Google Maps team to implement a similar feature in their navigation tool. Clearly for now the two teams are working separately, with both Waze and Google Maps available as free downloads on Android and iOS.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, It's a shame Google Maps don't have this feature. In Poland its already available in Yanosik app (created years ahead of Waze, with stronger community base obviously), although it's not as versatile as Maps, more battery hungry and more prone to crashing, very often I choose it instead on a longer trip.

Yeah, It's a shame Google Maps don't have this feature. In Poland its already available in Yanosik app (created years ahead of Waze, with stronger community base obviously), although it's not as versatile as Maps, more battery hungry and more prone to crashing, very often I choose it instead on a longer trip.
I use HERE Maps, it shows you the speed limit and tells you when you go over it, the offline maps are beyond awesome too specially when you go into an area with no cell signal. No community or anything but I just need something to tell me where to go and that works without having internet on my phone so it fits.

Might as well get use to it. Soon enough (at least in the USA) the auto manufacturers will include this on automobiles produced here. I'm sure the government can twist their arms. And of course it will probably at some point, come with a speeding ticket in the mail, and, when "auto pilot" comes to automobiles, they probably won't allow them to go over the speed limit..."for your protection" of course.

To be fair, this is something that would never be used where I live (Long Island). While the speed limit is still 55, EVERYONE does at least 70, and at least out here, the cops really don't care (I've blown by them regularly doing 75 :/). Basically, there's the "legal" speed limit, and the "accepted" speed limit.

Seriously, the lawmakers should just bump the limit to 70 and actually enforce it *shrug*

To be fair, this is something that would never be used where I live (Long Island). While the speed limit is still 55, EVERYONE does at least 70, and at least out here, the cops really don't care (I've blown by them regularly doing 75 :/). Basically, there's the "legal" speed limit, and the "accepted" speed limit.

Seriously, the lawmakers should just bump the limit to 70 and actually enforce it *shrug*
Same thing happens where I live (in CT) there is the legal speed limit of 50 or 55 and the speed traffic moves at (usually 70 or so) as long as you don't fly by a cop doing 90+ they don't care. If they tried to give everyone going over 55 on the highway a ticket EVERYONE would have to stop to get a ticket, even the big rigs go about 65-70.

Back