WB recommends 12GB RAM for Batman: Arkham Knight as some PC gamers report the game is STILL broken

midian182

Staff member

After the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight finally went back on sale this week following the four months developers spent repairing it, reports have come in from many PC gamers saying that it is still a buggy, unplayable mess.

Shortly after it returned to Steam, Arkham Knight publishers Warner Bros. issued a blog post warning that a hard drive paging issue may occur with some GPUs on Windows 7 after extended gameplay sessions. It recommended that anyone who encounters this problem can resolve it by “simply re-launching the game.”

It looks like things may be worse for those running Windows 10, as the blog reads: “For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.” This comes as a bit of a surprise, considering that Arkham Knight’s Steam Page states that the recommended system RAM is 8GB. Additionally, Steam’s own hardware survey shows that the majority of PC gamers, 53 percent, have either 4GB or 8GB of RAM in their systems - only 14 percent of rigs contain 12GB or more.

On top of all this, the blog also points out that the game still encounters problems with multi-GPU setups – one of the many issues Arkham Knight had when it was first released on the PC. Warner Bros. said: “We are still working with our GPU partners to add full support for SLI and Crossfire. In addition, we are working with these partners to address stability issues on certain cards related to the latest drivers.”

There are an increasing number of discussion threads on Steam filled with angry gamers who say that Arkham Knight is suffering from exactly the same graphical, framerate and crashing issues which plagued it at launch. “Even several months later, worst port ever,” wrote user Qamaris, while Steam member MarShal said “After 4 months I'm getting frames drops. From 90 FPS to 11 using batmobile and sometimes even in combat.”

An interim patch was released in September for those people who had already bought the game, although it seems that the only notable change from that update and this release is the addition of support for add-on and season pass content.

While there have been some users who say the re-released game is running fine for them, it was expected that, after four months of fixing and a load of bad publicity for Warner Bros., Arkham Knight would have returned to Steam without any problems. The fact that some users have reported that this new Arkham Knight won’t even boot up doesn’t bode well for Warner Bros., whose game must now surely hold the title of ‘Worst PC port of all time.’

Permalink to story.

Well... That's a little disappointing. I'm glad I didn't pick it up on re-release day. It's interesting that even after 3 months of working on the build, it still releases with game breaking issues. The Arkham games are such a great series, I'd hate to see it suffer due to development issues. Hopefully they'll be able to get things sorted it out in the near future.

What's wrong with these imbeciles? Can't they get anything right? It must be embarrassing for them. It's sure frustrating and annoying for the PC gamer. They've had weeks to fix it now, it should never have been released in it's original state but they still manage to stuff it up. How do they do it? Do they practice or take medication for that feat? I guess I'll forget about the game from here on out, and I was looking forward to playing it sometime.

LOLOL love the comments! :D
I'd say I'm part of the lucky 14% (16GB), but no way am I spending my hard earned money on this disaster!

Didn't expect so few steam users to have above 12GB. Still happy with my 16GB. Hoping that more games don't require this amount of ram anytime soon. DDR4 is expensive!

The whole university of illinois campus (200 time shared users at one time) ran on five meg of memory in 1980 on the ibm mainfraime computer I bought. Someone trying to tell us something?

The game ran fine last I played it on my system, but I am among the 14% with more than 12 GB of RAM and a GPU with 4ish GB of VRAM, and finally I have the game loading from a Samsung Evo 850 series. All that being said the game still drops frame rate on occasion, just never to unplayable levels. That being said this game should not need this level of hardware just to be playable. Seems to me WB isn't addressing the issue and just claiming to be working on it, whilst in reality they're hard at work on DLC and Paid for content for consoles.

"notable change from that update and this release is the addition of support for add-on and season pass content."

Didn't WB come out and say they had halted all development of add-on/DLC content until they get the game working on PC first? HA Looks like that was a lie, developer greed strikes again, and WB had some good IPs in their favor.

I don't know, but to me all this crying seems a bit excessive. I took a stick of ram out and played it with 8gb of ram and it works fine. I waited for months since the release to play it, because everybody was telling me "it does not work, your 2gb 7870xt will stutter like crazy, blahblahblah). Guess what, I finished the main story yesterday and the game works just fine. Throw your subpar "gaming" pile of sh*t away and buy something more powerfull / newer / balanced build.

“For windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.”

Either this guy doesn't know what he is talking about or this is another example of how much better a system will run without needing to make use of paging (hence being able to turn paging off).

And they're offering all previous Batman Arkham games as "compensation" for this mess, but it's nothing more than a crude attempt at boosting sales (any real Batman fan already owns the majority if not all the previous games).

46€ base game 40€ Season Pass... just milking the consumer like there's no tomorrow. What a bunch of scumbags.

Back