TechSpot

WD 120 gb XP Pro will not format

By fugleman
Mar 16, 2005
  1. Can someone help,
    Im running pc2800 256mb @ 333mhz AMD Athlon XP processor @ 1.79 ghz Elitegroup K7VTA3 mainboard OS Windows XP PRO. I just pickup a WD 120gb HD plug it in. BOS recognise it? OK, Then I ran install it ran fine untill format it whould not format? so, I tryed a quick format It worked, every thing seemed to go well. Reboot had a error loading system.
    I don't know
    Please Help, puke:

2. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

Use the WD utilities that shipped with the drive. It has to be partitioned first and set as active. Then clone your old drive to it ( if this is what you want to do ) and shut down. Set the jumper on the WD to master and the remove the old drive and re-boot. After a succesful boot shut down , re-introduce the old drive jumpered to slave and you should be good to go.

patio. :cool:

3. fugleman

fugleman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You

I do not have the WD utilities. Do you know where I can obtain them?
    If not is there another way to partition the hard drive with out the utilities? With XP maybe?

Thank you again,
    fugleman :grinthumb

4. fugleman

fugleman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You

I do not have the WD utilities. Do you know where I can obtain them?
    If not is there another way to partition the hard drive with out the utilities? With XP maybe?

Thank you again,
    fugleman :grinthumb

5. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.