WD HDD Issue - Head Knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman2005

Evening all-

I have an old WD400 (Western Digital 40gb / 7200rpm) HD that has served me well over the years. It's probably 6 years old now. Any rate, the computer that it's hooked up to does not recognize this drive properly - during bios it's noted as a WD102BB. I have tried this on another PC with the same results.

This leads me to believe this HDD now has a bum circuit board or something.

Is there any way to get the DATA off of this drive? It's not an OS drive but I can't get any PC to boot up that has this HDD present duing the boot sequence. If I boot with the drive hooked up, the bios will read the drive as the incorrect WD102BB and the kind of riiickkkk tic tic tic.... riiick tic tic..
Then the PC(s) finally reboot.

I have tried the freezer. I still have the same results....

Any one with a diagnotic tool that will do the trick? I have tried the Lifeguard tools from CD (dos) to no avail. It also reads the drive.

I need some secret trick to hot swap the HDD into place..

well, one thing u might wanna try is putting it in a usb drive enclosure and see if it will connect that way

any type of ticking noises such as you described are hallmark signs of a failing or failed drives. You can try to put the drive on USB with an IDE to USB adapter, but good luck. By this point the data is probably toast - but then again you have nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back