WD MyBook 500GM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

olamoree

WD MyBook (WD5000AAJS) was getting full and when it hit the 420 GB mark, it would plug into the USB port (Toshiba L355 S7902 Laptop), start up, appear as "USB mass storage device" instead of previously saying WDMyBook 500GB Drive... Vista would report "The device has been loaded" noting it as a USB mass storage device on USB Safely Remove proggy and appear there as a USB mass storage device.... it also appears in Device Manager as a USB mass storage device under Disk Drives but with no Properties. This is a SATA drive with an IDE converter when it is in the MyBook case. So I removed it from the My Book case, hooked it up to my external HDD USB to IDE/SATA thingy and plugged it in. Same thing, shows up in USB Safely Remove reporting The Device has been loaded, the HDD starts up, "whirrrrr" as usual, no clicks, no unusual noise, then after about 10 seconds, the motor turns off... it STILL shows up in Device Driver and USB Safely Remove and when I remove it, even tho no motor running, then I get the message from USB Safely Remove... The Device has been removed.... Another thing I have noted when plugging the MyBook SATA HDD into the USB port on the laptop is that it adversely affects the OTHER Toshiba external portable HDD causing it to disconnect and reconnect and generally screw up with clicking and lights flashing.

My main concern is that the HDD does not continue to run after 10 seconds. I even plugged it into an old desktop that has one SATA connector and it did the same thing there... shows up as a USB mass storage device and not a MyBook.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Wow! Thanks, that's a lot of information and I will crawl thru it and let you know what I discover. Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back