WD SATA drive not recognized - even with jumper fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugawug

So I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo with the VIA VT8237 chipset and I recently bought this newer WD SATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136075

After install, the drive is not recognized by mobo. There are many comments on newegg there and other places on the web, hell, WD's own site that say you have to use jumpers across 5/6 to get the drive to go down in speed and be recognized by dated boards like mine.

Too bad this doesn't work for me! I tried it using both primary and secondary sata ports, new cables, and all jumper config pairs on both ports!

WD support has nothing to offer except a new drive, which I would guess would behave the same. But if the jumper fix works for all, why not me!!

Ok......

Is the BIOS configured to run the drive as IDE? If it's not, and you don't have a SATA controller installed, then BIOS will be looking for the drive for a long, long time

Are you using Windows XP and is this the first SATA drive you're installing? If so, have you installed the relevant SATA/RAID controller drivers yet?

ahh...some missing info

sorry, missed some stuff:

using XP now with both a primary and secondary Seagate barracuda SATA drive successfully running off the VIA ports...these were bought a few years ago and likely not 3Gb/s. they work fine but one I think is going out, hence the new one.

so everything should be fine. it's a mystery. I have the only and latest SATA bios from asus.com and my system BIOS is like the 2nd latest. 1015 i think?

so i guess it's possible this drive is faulty only in the sense that the jumper across 5/6 doesn't actually drop the speed like it should?

the drive works fine on a more modern mobo, spins up, formatted, no problem.

and WD's knowledge base, among people on newegg, all say they just plopped the jumper on 5/6 and it was able to be recognized. figures, it doesn't work only for me it seems!

I could be wrong but it seems to me that since it works as it should on a more modern motherboard, the fault might be with the old motherboard somehow rather than with the hard drive.

If you haven't already, you could try going to the motherboard manufacturer's website and see if there is a more up to date SATA controller driver that might work with the newer SATA hard drives better. You mentioned updating your BIOS but drivers are a different story.

I've got the A8V deluxe mobo and i was also having an issue with a WD Caviar black 1TB drive. I added the jumper to 5/6 and that seemed to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back