WD1000B Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleGemboel

I have problem with my WD1000B drive, it only recognize after i detect it from bios menu. but after i shutdown my machine, it will gone...:confused:
So everytimes i turn on my comp, i must enter bios and detect it manually, i already set it to auto detect but failed.
My comp spec, Athlon1800, 512 MB pc2100, GA7VTXH+,.......
Anyone know what the problem and how to fix it?
note : i have check my hdd for bad sector, no, my hdd still good and without bad sector.

Can you boot into Windows?
If not, and the HDD doesnt show up at all, either set it as the Slave Hard Drive or on Cable Select. I have this hard Drive and it is unrecognized if its set to Master.

Western Digital requires no jumper to be in place if the hard drive is alone on the channel. Make sure this is so, if that is the case. If you have another HD on the channel, and the jumper settings are correct, make sure the blue or odd-colored IDE plug is in the system board, not a hard drive. I had this problem a while ago; it made me afraid I was gonna lose my drive.

yes i can boot windows normally, i have only one hdd so like Vehementi said, jumper not needed, and i have check my ide cable, everything okay, nothing wrong.
I have same feeling that i'm gonna loose my hdd, because this prob. I don't know how to fix it.
this prob really bother me because i must detect my hdd manually everytime i turn on, oh if i restart my system i don't need to detect it, my board can recognize it normally, but if i turn off my comp, then wuusshh, can't detect it.
Or maybe something wrong with my board, anyone know?

Okay, stupid question, how do i know that my mobo cmos battery is empty? Is there any tool or is there any specific sign?
And thanks for your help, i'm going to check it.

The proof of a faulty battery is your loosing the CMOS-setup.
As soon as your PC is sitched on and you have set-up the CMOS for the first time, it will keep is power from the mobo. Hence if you warm-start again, it still has its data. But power-off and Woosshh, data gone. Need I say more?

No, i think my battery is okay because only my hdd config was gone, other still there. Emm maybe it's my hdd, but i want to know what wrong with it. Anyone know a good tool to check hdd for error?
Thanks.

If you still lose your HDD settings, you DO have a problem with your CMOS-battery.
You can initially run Checkdisk (goto Start/Run, type chkdsk and click OK. Go for the "thorough" option and set it to "repair automatically", then go to bed. It will take a long time, but if anything is going wrong, you will know in the morning.
For other programs, check the second "Read" post by Rick in this forum.

It may be a problem with the HD not having enough time to spin up and come online before BIOS starts the HDD auto-detection.

Look for "IDE HDD DELAY" or something similar in BIOS setup and put in 10 seconds for example.

I have change my cmos battery but unfortunately problem still occur so not my battery fault. I am try Nodsu advice but i couldn't find IDE HDD DELAY option in my bios menu, my mobo use AMIBIOS, anyone can point me where to setup this ide delay in ami bios?
Thanks.

Seems that your mortherboard BIOS does not have the option and Gigabyte doesn't mention it being added in BIOS upates either.

You can pause the POST process manually by hitting the pause/break key on your keyboard. Wait until the HD spins up and then hit any key to continue booting.

DO you hear any weird sounds from the HD while booting? It may be that the PSU can't supply sufficient startup power to the HD and the poor thing has to spin down again to prevent damage.

Another idea: if you disable "quick boot" in BIOS then the memory check should take long enough to allow the HD to spin up.

Thanks for advice, Nodsu. I will try it soon. Btw, i used 450W PSU, is this enough to supply start up power for my HDD? And i didn't notice any strange noise like you said.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back