WD1200BB Hard Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! I think I have pretty much the exact same hard drive problem posted about here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-16504-Any-way-to-recover-this-HD.html I also have an A7N8X Deluxe and a WD1200BB hard drive, and the BIOS has the same problem recognizing the drive (it won't detect it on startup, but if I go in the BIOS and tell it to automatically detect the drive, it does). It sets it for 16383 cylinders, landing zone 16382, head 16, sector 63, for 8455MB (it's a 120GB drive). I think that's normal for this board though...

At startup it goes really, really slow if the drive is plugged in. Windows won't recognize the drive if it's plugged in. It's not just a formatting thing, since it doesn't even detect the presence of the physical disk.

I've messaged the poster about if he resolved his issue. Hoping to hear back.

I flashed my BIOS to the latest, and have tried using HDD Regenerator (it goes really slow, about 1MB every couple hours); I didn't wait, but so far every sector is listed as bad. WD's Data Lifeguard has been pretty useless too - it doesn't recognize the drive, just like Windows won't.

My next step will be to try the tools listed in the other thread. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas what I might try?

I think this might be power-surge related - my sister claims there was a lightning storm and that the computer just shut off. Does that seem like a plausible cause of failure, given the symptoms? The information's kind of important - I might be inclined to buy another WD if switching the logic board might help. Any chance that might work?

Alright, thanks a lot in advance everybody! Hope to hear back :)

-- Ned Ruggeri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back