WD's new My Cloud external drive offers up to 4TB of cloud-like storage with no monthly fee

Justin Kahn

cloud 4tb

Western Digital has just recently announced a new hard drive product called the WD My Cloud. Unlike your traditional desktop solution, the My Cloud will not only store your files but also connect with your home or business network.

You can upload and download files wirelessly from just about anywhere through WD's handy desktop or mobile applications. To manage storage space, users and other settings, the My Cloud dashboard can be accessed from any desktop. Users can also upload/download files and link the device with other popular services like Google Drive and Dropbox through the new My Cloud mobile app, which is available on both iOS and Android.

cloud 4tb "We believe that there's no place like home for the cloud," said executive VP and GM of WD's branded products and consumer electronics groups Jim Welsh. "Everyone is inundated with thousands of digital files scattered across multiple computers and mobile devices, and controlling that chaos is a challenge.

The WD My Cloud is ready for Windows and Mac right out of the box, with no additional software needed. It also has USB 3.0 for expansion purposes, Ethernet and a dual core CPU. The network drive can also act as an entertainment media hub allowing users to stream video content and music to any DLNA-certified media device, on top of gaming consoles and smart TVs.

My Cloud is coming in 2TB, 3TB and 4TB configurations at $150, $180 and $250 respectively. While the the 2 and 3TB options are available now through select retailers, WD said the the 4TB isn't expected to hit store shelves until next month.

Permalink to story.

My WD MyBook Live is already connected to my home network via ethernet cord to the router. There's also an option to access it over the Internet. This doesn't sound too new, although the 4 GB is, and probably the mobile app. I'm surprised more people don't do this.

Back