We can't filter Kazaa: Sharman Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

When Music Industry Piracy Investigations -- the music industry's anti-piracy unit -- obtained several legal orders last week allowing them to search premises for evidence associated with alleged copyright-infringing activities , its manager, Michael Speck, told ZDNet Australia the issue was a simple case of copyright infringement, and that if Sharman Networks stopped allowing copyright-infringing files to be traded via Kazaa the record companies would stop the lawsuit.

However, "the Kazaa application is not able to monitor files that users of the software exchange with each other," said Sharman Networks in a statement to ZDNet Australia . "Kazaa has a fully decentralised architecture, which allows users to share material directly with each other. This is what gives P2P, or distributed computing, its unique efficiency. Users of the software are responsible for ensuring that when they share material, they respect copyrights, just as are users of e-mail, photocopying machines, CD burners, and a raft of other copying technologies."

click here for full story.

Users of the software are responsible for ensuring that when they share material, they respect copyrights, just as are users of e-mail, photocopying machines, CD burners, and a raft of other copying technologies."

Bad idea. You just called Kazaa a type of "copying technology". You managers should be more careful. That will most likely be used in court, if it does go to court.

Kazaa will end up disapeared and will loose in court. We already know that we will be able to download music and copyrighted stuff in the net if we want, the only thing that changes is the date and the name of the program you have to download.

"It's inevitable", neo(r) :p

I don't really use Kazaa. I know where to get my files :). I'm able to literally get any file I want quickly. Hehe.

I have acctually often wondered to myself. The RIAA are attacking kazaa, and only Kazaa.

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kazaa just client/server software to connect to the fastrack network? Surely its the network the RIAA should be attacking if they want to stop p2p (not that they ever will!)

I mean, they aren't attacking the other p2p applications on the network.

Originally posted by Spike
I have acctually often wondered to myself. The RIAA are attacking kazaa, and only Kazaa.

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kazaa just client/server software to connect to the fastrack network? Surely its the network the RIAA should be attacking if they want to stop p2p (not that they ever will!)

I mean, they aren't attacking the other p2p applications on the network.

If they physically went after the network itself and not do it right, they could screw up a whole lot of pc's and generally slow down the internet itself. It would have to be a focused attack on the offending ports that Fastrack uses. This "could" have a backlash on them......not that much else has with their current Gestapo tactics.

Hell, maybe they just don't know how.....who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back