web pages not loading and missing buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadecamp

This is a strange one! My son's computer cannot open certain web pages. It started out shortly after he loaded SP2 but not right away. First thing that is strange is the passport sign in button on the MSN.com web page does not appear. It shows a red X and some text identifying the link but the button is missing. When you click on it it tries to open the web page but stalls and times out with the Cannot Find Server error page.
I then did a full reload of XP pro SP2 and thought that would get rid of it but it didn't. Same missing button.
Loaded Firefox. Same thing but instead of the error page it gives a error box saying data is empty.
We all connect to the internet through a gateway computer which shares a dialup modem. The gateway has PC-cillen for the virus scan and firewall.
I could easily access these web sites from my computer but now it is starting to stall as well and today I could not connect to any Microsoft web pages like their support pages or the passport sign it. We both can open most web pages like yahoo, earthlink, etc. but others we cannot. Is there some setting in the firewall that maybe was updated lately? Is there a virus locking us out of Microsoft so we won't be able to get updates?

Please help!!!!! I'm so confused!!!!!
:confused: :confused:

If the Firewall is enabled in Win XP with SP2 installed . . and you have another firewall running this could be your problem.
I'd suggest turning one of them off.

I have had the same problem, which is still yet to be resolved. It seems to have nothing to do with any firewalls or popup blockers. I believe strongly that it happened when SP2 was installed. I have tried everything that I have found on various websites to attempt to fix it but none of them have worked. I have even re-installed IE6. The pages will not load in IE, Mozilla, or Opera. IE gives the page cannot be displayed error, Opera shows a blank white page, and Mozilla says the connection was refused. On some pages such as Amazon, it all loads except for the icons such as rate this item and other small ones. All the webpages that do not load on my PC work fine on others who are on the same network I am. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

When you update SP2 has some important new security settings .They affect your machines to a large degee , depending upon what software is on your machine and running.
I suggest you do some reading here;
http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2installed
Check the before and after sections.
If stuff doesn't make sense get back to us with a discription of what is going on.

I have tried most all of that. Does anyone know how to turn off Microsofts Antivirus crap the comes with the security center? That is about the only thing that I havent tried. I know that the issue has nothing to due with IE6 itself because of my other 2 browsers having the same issues. I have sygate personal firewall, and I still have the problem even when i turn it off. Everything worked fine and then one day, i went to SP2, ran adaware, and scan my computer for viruses, and when that was all over, the webpages stopped working. Some pages that do not work include: www.comcast.net, http://pub14.bravenet.com/forum/1194306151

Micrososft does not have it's own Anti virus software.
The security controls are found at , Start >Control Panel> dbbl click the Security icon

some web pages will not load

On my dad's computer, some web pages will not load. I have my laptop and plug into the same modem and have no proble accesing the web pages. I tried to ping the web sites on my dad's computer and get "request timed out" same thing on my laptop.

Try cleaning out the Temp Internet files, offline contents and cookies. In IE, click on Tools/Internet Options to get tho that info-page.
Also run Adaware and Spybot S&D.

On my dad's computer, some web pages will not load. I have my laptop and plug into the same modem and have no proble accesing the web pages. I tried to ping the web sites on my dad's computer and get "request timed out" same thing on my laptop. SpecsHe is running windows 98 2nd eddition. I have cleaned out all cookies and cached files. Their is no firewall. Antivirus: Norton all up to date(2004)

If you are able to connect some pages but not others,there may be some settings in IE that are blocking .Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security &
Advanced .Check these settings Just be careful with any ActiveX controls those are best left to defaults.
Also if you can load the page below it can help with connectivity issues that are set in your registry.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

There is a small download to test your machine, you decide after reading the site's info.But I have used them a number of times without any negative issues and the service is free .

OMG, all i needed to do was reset my router. I unplugged it for about 30 secs, and the 2 sites i can access again. Curious, why would that happen?

Not loading

Hi

I had this very same problem with only some pages loading but most not. My setup uses a router so I tried rebooting it "the router" and all sorts nothing worked, I eventually tracked the issue down to the MTU value being incorrect in my routers setup page, once I re-set it to what my ISP required the whole system came alive again instantly. It might not be your problem but anything & every solution is worth looking at.

Regards

This may or may not work but we have had an issue at work with web pages not working since sp2. WE run this batch file and it corrects the dlls. Here is the code to put in a text file and name it "whatever".bat .
REGSVR32 urlmon.dll

REGSVR32 Shdocvw.dll

REGSVR32 Msjava.dll

REGSVR32 Actxprxy.dll

REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll

REGSVR32 Oleaut32.dll

REGSVR32 Mshtml.dll

REGSVR32 Browseui.dll

REGSVR32 Shell32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back