Webcam acting strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravesent

Hello, I have a Philips SPC220NC webcam, when I plug it in the USB nothing happens, the camera will only work if I keep pressing the "Take picture" button, even so it only works once, if I want to use it again I have to restart the system.

As weird as it may seem I have the same problem with a Genius e-messenger 112 cam, so I'm guessing there's something wrong with my computer which is not specific to a camera model, question is what?

My computer is an Acer Aspire 5102 wlmi (5100 series)
Thurion Dual core 1.6 ghz
1gb ram
ati x1100 integrated video card

I have all the drivers up to date (I think) at least I installed the video driver, the usb driver and the motherboard driver (and a bunch of others but I think these ones should be related to using the camera).

I have the latest bios update made, all other USB devices I've used worked perfectly, it's just webcams that refuse to work properly, I've played a lot with codecs but I uninstalled most of them (not with codec sniper but I'm hoping it won't get to that).

I was hoping this was a well knowned problem with cameras, the strange thing is that when it does work it performs perfectly, it's just that it doesn't work untill I click it's button a lot and after closing it I can't reopen it until I restart.

To better describe the problem: I plug it in the usb and nothing happens, no device is detected, I click it's "Picture" button, or keep it pressed, and the device appears in "My Computer" and "Device Manager", I double click it in "My Computer" and I use it a bit, I close the window and although the device remains connected, when I double click it again in "My Computer" the device will not initialize and the window freezes, it happens the same with any application that uses the camera in any way, the only way to defreeze the applications is to remove the camera from the USB, if I put it back in it will not be recotnised no matter what I do and how much I click it, it will only work after I restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back