Webcam Problems with MSI A5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

istoleedward

i have an msi a5000 lap top with windows 7. when i first got it a few months ago the webcam worked just fine. since then, ive updated the webcam software a few times. now it has stopped working. i thought it might have been a bad update so ive tried system restores and it never really restored properly. my computer says that the webcam is connected and in working order, but obviously it's not. when i open the webcam program, it gives me an outline where the picture should be. it's not even just a black picture, but its the color of the background of the program. im not sure what i should try to fix this but i dont' want to have to send my lap top in, so if someone knows what i could try, i'd be glad to hear from you... thanks!

have u tried rolling back the drivers in device manager.
Also try just re installing the webcam.
If u can, try it on a different PC.

3 things to try. Let us know how it goes!

thank u so much 4 replying by the way!
i guess i forgot 2 mention, but my webcam is built into the computer so i can't try it on a different PC.

i went into the drivers manager and i can't roll back the driver, because it was never updated. also, it says that there is no update 4 the driver, so i can't try that either.

there is the option 2 disable the device or uninstall the driver which i havent tried either one. im assuming that if there is the option to disable/uninstall, that means i could reinstall/enable it again, so i uninstalled the driver but wen i restarted it kept reinstalling it automatically and it still didn't work.

then i tried disabling it and enabling it again after restart, and that also did not work!
my friends have suggested that it could be a hardware problem but i still don't know what to do, so if u could try to give me some more advice, i would be extremely thankful! :)

so i uninstalled the driver but wen i restarted it kept reinstalling it automatically and it still didn't work.

First, do you have webcam installation file on CD or available elsewhere? (I ask cause i didn't find one online when i quickly looked)

As my advice is to try uninstall/reinstall again (assuming you have install file) the difference this time being: You need to look in Control Panel->Programs and Features. My guess is you'll find a program entry there for the web cam. Uninstall it (which will uninstall the webcam software as well the driver installation files on your hard drive). At that point you can reboot and try a clean reinstall.

If that still fails, then sounds like it might be hardware failure indeed.. in which case you'd probably to buy an external USB webcam :(

lookinaround...i tried 2 uninstall it they way u said and i was prompted 2 select the folder that contains the file path 4 the file setup.int and i found the arcsoft webcam companion folder but i didn't kno which smaller folder 2 chose and there were a LOT of them to chose from, so i just selected the general folder and it said it couldn't find the filepath there. i do not have cd with the program either, it just came installed on my laptop when i got it.

also, while i was in control panel, i also clicked on view installed undates and i couldn't find any of the webcam program updates in the list.

gobbybobby... the msi website doesnt relly help at all at least that ive found. i cant find anything 2 do with my program on the site. i think there could b a chance that tigerdirect.com (where i bought my laptop) installed the program and not the manufacture? ive also tried the actual program website and didnt seem 2 find a lot of help. there was a forum there, but i was 2 annoyed @ that point 2 look into it...

thank u guyz 4 helping an i hope u stick with my til i get this problem fixed! :)
also, do u think itd b worth taking my laptop into bestbuy and seeing wht they have 2 say? but i dont wanna have 2 pay anything tho...thanks again!

1. Who did you buy the laptop from? Any chance it's still under warranty?

2. You were prompted for setup.inf file when you tried to uninstall?? If so it sounds like the software installation is corrupt. I did happen to find Arcsoft webcam software available for download here BUT looks like it's only free first 15 days?

3. Let's also see if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

/* edit */
You said you've updated the webcam software before? How? Where did you find the software updates for the webcam?

i got it off tigerdirect.com and it is still under 3 yr warenty.

i updated the software as i was prompted as with a bunch of other usual updates in the action center.

nothing showed up in the problem devices, but thanks 4 continuing 2 give me new ideas.

yes i was prompted 2 find setup.int file when i tried 2 uninstall. maybe it was making sure i could reinstall it afterward? but there was no way 2 uninstall it without the file.

i looked at that link and some things seemed off. first of all, i dont have the correct operating system it says is needed according to the specs. i have windows 7 and it says xp or vista. but anyway i tried downloading it. so after it finished i saw 2 shortcuts on my desktop 4 the programs then. ( a detail ive just thought of is that the original shortcut doesnt have a the program pic but a square thing u usually see when ur comp doesnt have the right programs 2 run it or something ) but now both were in full color and normal. i tried opening both and i got the same problem i didn't have b4 it gave me the message :the ordinal 829 could not be located inthe dynamic link library uCaptureWDM.dll. not sure wht thats means.
any ideas?
thnks!

Ooops. You're right. I missed the fact that download isn't for Windows 7. Are you 32 or 64 bit? Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows

Also can you locate the web cam in Device Manager? Rt click it, select Properties. Click Details tab. In the pull down tab select Hardware Ids. Then copy/paste what the hardware ids that appear.

You might also try contacting whoever would cover the warranty to find out what they offer as options and where you might get the Arcsoft software downloaded if needed... just in case that's the last choice (short of buying a USB webcam you'd have to carry with the laptop)

its a 32 bit.

USB\VID_0402&PID_5608&REV_0100&MI_00

USB\VID_0402&PID_5608&MI_00

so there u go hopefully that gives u some clues cuz i dunno what those ids mean.

those weird ids are part of how Windows actually identifies the device so it can locate a suitable/correct driver.. fyi if you should be curious... see [post=755153]Plug and Play Overview: How Windows Finds Drivers for USB Devices[/post]

May take a day or two but will see what i can find about that hardware.

Well... what i found / my opinions

Good news: This looks like a Windows 7 version of Arcsoft "try-and-buy" software.

Bad News:
> My guess is Arcsoft's not your problem (but i certainly don't know for certain). My guess is it's more likely the hardware and/or driver
> I'd normally suggest you at least try uninstall/reinstall the driver.... i only find XP and Vista compatible drivers but not for Win 7 :(

So bottom line... you're best bet is likely seeing if you can get it fixed via warranty or local store or buy a cheap external web cam. Sorry not better news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back