Webroot SpySweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has won some awards from the likes of PC Mag. It's one of the few "for pay" antispyware programs I have some faith in. But I would buy Ad-aware first. Or just use the free version and scan manually :)

PC Mag's latest testing puts SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor on the top.

However, as history has shown, it takes a battery of protection to catch everything, no one program does it all. Which is why the dynamic combo of Adaware, Spybot, HJT, and perhaps Spyware Blaster works so well.

A lot of people on this forum will tell you, they don't even use an antispyware suite. I don't. All it takes is common sense and a good web browser and you can avoid it. Then just scan occasionaly with the aforementioned tools and you're good to go.

Those types of programs, like SpySweeper, tend to stick their "fingers" into every space in Windows, using valuble resources and sometimes causing havoc. It's a toss-up.

But to answer your question directly, is it any good? I guess I'd say it is, you could do a lot worse.

Spy Sweeper is a kick ***** program, if

you're using their latest Beta. It scans much faster than the retail version +4.5); protects like nothing I've used (A Squared 2.0, Ashampoo, C-Spy, Ewido, TrendMicro, etc.), but it IS extremely tight in its protection - something Webroot's devs are working on.

HTH (Hope this helps)

spy sweeper trouble?

please help if any way possible. I down loaded spy sweeper and it almost shut my computer down. I could'nt do anything. It slowed eveything down so bad that everything I tried to get into said not responding. At one point in time I checked my cpu usage it was at 100%. I rebooted and then the pf usage was in the 600 range. i finally uninstalled it. Did I do something wrong at install? Os is xp home 40gb hd 256 mg ddr sd ram intel celeron d processor 325:dead:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It could be that there is a software conflict between Spysweeper and some other software you have running on your system.

It could also be caused by a corrupt download etc.

Try redownloading it and see if that helps. If you still get the same results, just forget about it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard, Thank you for the reply!! I am also running norton antivirus and personal firewall think that might be the conflict? I wanted to try and download spy sweeper again but was unsure if i could since i uninstalled it. can i download it again? I did pay for it. Since this is the week end should i just wait untill i can get in touch with webroot? thanks for your reply in advance.

It wouldn`t surprise me if it was a Norton conflict, but don`t quote me on that lol.

I recommend you contact the makers of Spysweeper and see what they can do to help you. They are a reputable company and may be able to help you.

Regards Howard :)

:cool: Thank you Howard for your quick responce. I will be on them first thing tomorrow. Hey you are awsome for trying to help me out. I thank you for that! Have a great weekend. Thanks again!!! I'm out :wave:

I run Norton Interent Security 2006, and Spysweeper 4.5, and I dont have any troubles like you have descrubed. yea it slows down the system a little, but i would rather sacrfice CPU power for good protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back