Website Hosting, who's best?

After a 3 week nightmare with IMHOSTED.CON I could use suggestions for reliable US hosting company. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
www.powweb.com

1000MB space
5GB bandwidth a DAY (around 150GB/month)
PHP, Perl5, Sendmail, CGI-BIN, SSI, .htaccess, cronjobs, mySQL, etc
650 POP3/IMAP email address + Webmail
24/7 FTP (up to 10 FTP users)

http://www.powweb.com/webhosting.htm for more information

$7.77/month

I would not recommened them. My friend, who purchased hosting from this company had the worst experience ever. I had administrative access as well to this and it was horrible.

Powweb hosting periodically turned off and on, the sql and databases went offline several of times, it was slow most of slow sometimes (and he didn't host files or anything and it's not a traffic sucking website), and the experience was horrible. Tech support claimed so many times to solve the problem but never solved it, even on threats to cancel. Well he finnaly did cancel.

You can go ahead and get that hosting if you want-- Good luck.

You get what you pay for.

I've tried numerous $5-10 hosts and all 6 or 7 of them were not perfect... Or very good for that matter.

I never had any problems with them. From what Vassil told me it didn't sound like he really had any either. I think he hosts several websites there.

The site I listed is $5/month [if you pay annually]. But they have a lot of other good plans. For $5 a month you get

CPANEL 8
Web Space 250 Mb
Traffic 9 Gb Monthly
Sub Domain, POP Email, FTP Unlimited
Parked Domain 5
mySQL Database 3

Private Label Reseller Features
[?] Ecommerce
· Agora Shopping Cart
· Interchange Shopping Cart
· osCommerce

[?] Site Management
· 24/7 FTP access
· Web-based file manager
· CPanel 8.x Series
· MS FrontPage® extensions

[?] Database
· Unlimited access to phpmyadmin
· Online users and database management

[?] Email
· Default catch all Email
· Unlimited Email aliases
· Unlimited Email forwarding
· Unlimited Auto responders
· Unlimited Email blocking
· Spam filters (Spam Assassin)
· Personal SMTP server
· Web based email access
· Instant MX record changes

[?] Web Development
· Full CGI-Bin
· WAP
· Real Audio/Video http streaming
· Cron Job
· Server Side Includes (SSI)
· Unlimited password protected directories
· Customizable error pages
· Custom MIME types
· Ability to run CGI scripts outside CGI-Bin

and they have GREAT 24/7 techsupport. Never offline. Rarly had problems, and when I have had probs, the techsupport have replyed within 1-5, 10minutes at most.

Originally posted by Rick
You get what you pay for.

I've tried numerous $5-10 hosts and all 6 or 7 of them were not perfect... Or very good for that matter.

Exactly. Being in the web developing business for several years, that's just the fact. There's no other way arround it.

BTW, agissi, what host are you talking about? Got a link?

If it's too good to be true, it is.

Most problems occur with features such as mySQL. If you dont use those kinds of features you probably wont notice problems but on a rare blue moon. (With any webhosting)

Good web hosting

I am looking for a reasonable priced site to host my company website.

A friends son built one as a college project but says it is too complicated for me to edit and use.

He is probably right.

I have purchased Serif web plus 8 for £9.99 which is ok. I have constructed a site and now need to upload it somewhere.

any suggestions.

my other problem is that the site that was created is still there and the kid has gone travelling so what can I do to delete the original.

The name is stouen.co.uk as my company is St Ouen Property Services Ltd.

I have vehicles with this name on so I need it to work.

Much of the site that the lad produced was fine for his college but is not what I need.
any help appreciated... yet again....:D

I doubt he wants sometime with Ads and very limited bandwidth Akio (this would be something free).

The best hosting I've ever dealt with, and what I host all my sites on now, is www.byzhosting.com. Great Site, with CPanel you get all these features at your finger tips, that are just a few clicks away if you want it to install them to your site:

[?] Ecommerce
· Agora Shopping Cart
· Interchange Shopping Cart
· osCommerce

[?] Site Management
· 24/7 FTP access
· Web-based file manager
· CPanel 8.x Series
· MS FrontPage® extensions

[?] Database
· Unlimited access to phpmyadmin
· Online users and database management

[?] Email
· Default catch all Email
· Unlimited Email aliases
· Unlimited Email forwarding
· Unlimited Auto responders
· Unlimited Email blocking
· Spam filters (Spam Assassin)
· Personal SMTP server
· Web based email access
· Instant MX record changes

[?] Web Development
· Full CGI-Bin
· WAP
· Real Audio/Video http streaming
· Cron Job
· Server Side Includes (SSI)
· Unlimited password protected directories
· Customizable error pages
· Custom MIME types
· Ability to run CGI scripts outside CGI-Bin
[?] Pre-configured Scripts and Tools
· Chat rooms
· Site report statistics
· Raw access logs
· Bandwidth meter
· Daily downloadable site backup
· Simple CGI Wrapper
· Random HTML
· Guest Books
· Counter
· Java clock
· Countdown
· CGI Email
· FormMail Clone
· Entropy Search
· Entropy Banner
· Auto Installer

[?] Scripting and Languages
· HTML
· VRML
· C/C++
· Perl 5.6.1
· PHP 4.3.3 w/Zend Optimizer 2.1.0
· TCL (Tool Command Language)
· CGI (Common Gateway Interface)
· JavaScript
· Shockwave/Flash
· ePerl

[?] Server Side Service
· Daily Website Backup
· Daily Database Backup

This is apparently your own site. Contact the people below, they can tell you how to get into that website. You will need to obtain the login and password information.

The following info is freely available on the internet, so I am not telling any secrets here:

Domain Name:
stouen.co.uk

Registrant:
St Ouen Property Services Ltd.

Administrative Contact's Address:
La rue du creux baillot
St Ouen
JERSEY
JE3 2DR
GB

Registrant's Agent:
Fibranet Services Ltd [Tag = FIBRANET]

Relevant Dates:
Registered on: 07-Jan-2002
Renewal Date: 07-Jan-2006
Last updated: 20-Feb-2004

Registration Status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers listed in order:
ns1.ukwebdns.net 80.94.196.54
ns2.ukwebdns.net 80.94.197.54
WHOIS database last updated at 08:30:01 19-Jun-2004
(c) Nominet UK 1996 - 2004
For further information and terms of use please see http://www.nic.uk/whois

As to your upload-problem, an FTP-program like the free "CoffeeCup Free FTP 3.0" is available here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/195147.html

It will let you delete/download existing stuff, and let you upload/replace new stuff.

For FTP I normally use the built-in FTP functions from Ontrack's Powerdesk Pro V5, which is a superior form of Windows Explorer.
It lets you copy/cut & paste files for FTP just like Exlorer.

Hey all many thanks. I am digesting it all, Yes I dont need the freestuff with popups etc.

I also recieved this today and it may be fron the site hosting the site.

Dear Peter,
As you may have heard in the press and from shareholder communications, Host Europe Plc has recently been acquired by PIPEX Communications Plc. This marks an important milestone in the history of Host Europe and strengthens our standing as one of the UK's leading Internet Hosting companies.

We feel that PIPEX and Host Europe's product ranges are highly complementary, and will enable all of our customers to take advantage of a faster enhanced network infrastructure, and additional Data Centres in Leeds, Manchester (XTML) and London (Harbour Exchange).

In the near future you will also be able to benefit from a broader product portfolio - including hosting, connectivity, security products, voice services and managed services - letting you outsource all your Internet products from one trusted source.

Following on from this acquisition Host Europe Plc will shortly delist from the London Stock Exchange AIM market and undergo a programme of re-branding, changing our name from Host Europe Internet Ltd to PIPEX Communications Hosting Ltd.

Day-to-day the most obvious change will be that invoices and letters will carry the PIPEX branding. You will of course continue to receive the same high standard of service that you have come to expect from Host Europe.

Your current account manager, contact details for sales and technical support and contracts will remain the same, and for most customers payment details will also remain unaffected. Only customers paying by cheque need amend their payment details, as specified on upcoming invoices.

Looking to the future

Our vision is to take the best processes, services and support and replicate these across our entire organisation, underpinning your business with access to the best people, support, services and infrastructure at all times. Our goal remains to deliver world-class hosting and telecommunications services, and we believe that these changes will ultimately benefit all of our customers.

If you require additional information explaining more about this change and the positive impact it will have on your organisation, we have a set of FAQ's which can be accessed from your control panel or by clicking on the following link http://www.hosteurope.com/hosteuropepipexfaq.html.

If you have any further questions or comments - regarding any aspect of our business, please do not hesitate to get in touch. You can contact us directly or email us on suggestions@pipex.net.

Your continued support and feedback will ensure that we work in partnership with you to deliver the highest levels of service and support to your organisation today and in the future.

Yours sincerely,

I do have some passwords that the lad sent and can only try them , He never specified where they were for.

Once again thanks

POWWEB.COM

The Perfect Hosting Solution All Included!
Disk Space (Raid Storage) 1,000 MB
Data Transfer/Bandwidth 5 Gigs/Day!
*FREE Web Address (YourName.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supported Software All Included!
FrontPage 98/2000/2002 Ext.
PHP4 w/Zend Optimizer, Perl5, Sendmail
CGI-BIN, SSI, .htaccess, Cronjobs
Flash, Shockwave, Midi, Mulitmedia Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Database All Included!
MySQL Database 5
Up to 3 Users per Database
phpMyAdmin
Daily Database Backups

Web Statistics & Logs All Included!
Webalizer & AwStats Web Statistics
Bandwidth Report
Access, Error, Referral Logs, Raw Log Files
Real-Time Logging

Email Service All Included!
Mailboxes (POP3/IMAP & SMTP) 650
Web Mail Access (secured)
Email Forwarding/Email Aliases
Mailing List Features

WebSite Access/ Control All Included!
Member Operations Control Panel
Control Panel Web Users 25
DNS Management (A records, Cnames, MX records)
Sub-Domains (something.yourdomain.com)
24/7 FTP Access
Web-Based FTP File Manager
10 FTP Users (separate directories)

Customer Service All Included!
Toll-Free Technical Support (1-877-4-POWWEB)
24/7 Friendly Email Technical Support
24/7 Chat Server Access/Instant Live Chat Help
Live Servers/System Announcements
Tutorials and Support Documentations

E-Commerce Ready All Included!
Built-in OsCommerce Shopping Cart
SSL - Secure Certificate

Community & Resource Center All Included!
Active Community Forum (13,000+ Members!)

Template Gallery (100+ Web Templates)
Articles, Online Tools
$50 Credit to Overture
Site Utilities (Link Checks, Color Pickers)
Promotional Tools (Search Engine Submissions)
Popularity Checks, Meta Tag Generators
Website Utilities

Servers/Network Connections All Included!
"Clustering" Architecture
Fully Redundant Network Connections
Fast & Reliable UNIX FreeBSD Servers
Hourly, Daily, Weekly File Backups
Uptime Guarantee 99.9%
24/7/365 Network Monitoring Systems

Terms Monthly Added Promotion Total
3 Months $7.77 NONE
($20 Setup Fee) $43.31
1 year $7.77 2 Months FREE!
*1 Year FREE Domain Name $93.24
2 years $7.77 4 Months FREE!
*2 Years FREE Domain Name $186.48

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Looks like spam? :\

Powweb is cheap, but you get what you pay for most the time.

Never had a problem with them. Fast, good support, a great support forum, lots of space, etc.

Well any advise appreciated.

I downloaded coffee cup and accessed ftp.stouen.co.uk, I deleted all that it would allow me to. A couple of folders wont go.

I used the Serif interface to upload new content which it did but it is not visable on the net.
I have checked in coffee cup and it is all there as is the 2 files that it wont delete.
Will they be stopping me making it work, is there anyway of telling who is hosting the site?

Baffeled.

Should you not access www.stouen.co uk ?

On most servers, your data goes into a sub-directory "public_html" or "www".
In there are several sub-directories like "cgi-bin" and your own directories as made by your web-package.

Don't start deleteing anything in sight!
Find the directory that (used to) contain the page "index.htm" or "index.html".
That is your so-called home-page and that is also where you copy your (serif-) stuff to.

yep you were correct,
I deleted wwwroot .

Fortunately It is restored and I am now able to play with the site.

Just a little dissappointed that the graphics are not that sharp.

But it still beats learning to do it properly. I wanted a site that I could upload stuff to and then change easily and thats what I sort of have.

Just really want to build houses.

:)
BTW Could I not just host my own site on a spare machine hooked up to the net, is it that hard to do?

Unless you're on a highspeed dedicated line you shouldn't host anything on your own machine.

DSL is horrible for webhosting, and cable isn't much better.

And if you host it on your own internet connection, either you'll loose your bandwidth when someone tries to access your site, or noone will be able to access the site when you're browsing the web.

Not to mention the chances that you're machine will be hacked and used for pr0nsharing.

So I'd really advice against that unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you need to have the server in-house.

But why do you need a new hotel, since you've already got one? www.stouen.co.uk is already hosted at a hotel, so there shouldn't be any need to get a new one.

If you want to get a site to play with, I'd advice not doing this on the company website, but on a private hotel/ISP account. (Or at the very least a private portion of the company site).

B-One is a very cheap hotel which'd allow you to play around all you want and learn, whilst keeping the company site clean.

It was just a thought.

Anyway I have it working ok at a very early stage, I am just going to have to figure out making everything smaller as it takes too long to open and I havent even tried it yet on dial up.

Back