TechSpot

Website on TOR Network

1. Hey

I don't know if I am on the right forum here, so please excuse me if I am

I want to set up a .onion website on the TOR Network for my graduation project (mandatory to graduate). I use Windows 8.1 and I have installed xampp to use it as the webserver.

I have followed the instructions on this website to set up the website on the TOR network. Everything went good and I was able to open my .onion website in the tor browser but when I restarted my computer, it didn't work anymore. I tried to start from zero again (uninstalling the tor browser and xmapp) and followed every step on the mentioned website but I couldn't get the website to work.

Does anyone know how to make it work again? I really don't want to spend any money on it, but if there is no other way to do it, I am willing to spend some money.

Please don't say anything like "Don't do it, it is too dangerous" or something. I know that and I am willing to take the risk

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

Lots of issues.

A website needs a domain name - - do you have one and can you find its ipaddress like
    nslookup myDomain.name

3. FunnyPocketBook

FunnyPocketBook TS Rookie Topic Starter

Since it is a .onion website the domain name will be automatically generated and I can't really decide which one to get
    So yes, I do have a domain name but no, I cannot find its ipaddress with nslookup

4. jobeard

Hmm; I would guess your system runs locally but can't be accessed by anyone on your lan and certainly not from a public user.

does xampp start , stop, start without errors?

5. FunnyPocketBook

FunnyPocketBook TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yes, it starts and restarts without a problem
    The ports stay the same but whenever I restart Apache nothing works anymore and I have to reinstall xampp

6. jobeard

Hmm; the wiki says
    Tell you what, I have Apache2 on my laptop and use it for site development. Getting browser access to this server is as easy as http: // localhost/pagename OR http: //127.0.0.1/pagename

There's no DNS requirement in ether case as localhost -> 127.0.0.1 the default on every system.

Configure your xampp to run on localhost.

===
    If you installed Apache in c:\Apache, then look in c:\Apache\logs.
    get a command prompt and use NOTEPAD ERROR.LOG to see what's wrong, perhaps pasting as a followup.

7. I did configure xampp to run on localhost and everytime I type in the "normal" browsers address bar "localhost" or "localhost:80" (I've set the port to 80) then the xampp page shows up.
    When I type in my .onion website in the torbrowser, the xampp page shows up
    When I replace index.php in the xampps folder with my html file, the page displayed changes from the xampp page to my html file

So I think that everything works fine until I restart Apache in xampp

I just figured out that it is not xampp which causes the problem but the tor browser
    I have to delete my hidden services in the tor browser folder and get a new hostname, that is the address

When everything is set up fine, I can access the site on the phone and other devices which use the same wifi as the computer on which the webserver is

8. jobeard

GOOD!!
    is the requirement a website or a TOR website (which I would severely challenge) ?