Website on TOR Network

Hey

I don't know if I am on the right forum here, so please excuse me if I am

I want to set up a .onion website on the TOR Network for my graduation project (mandatory to graduate). I use Windows 8.1 and I have installed xampp to use it as the webserver.

I have followed the instructions on this website to set up the website on the TOR network. Everything went good and I was able to open my .onion website in the tor browser but when I restarted my computer, it didn't work anymore. I tried to start from zero again (uninstalling the tor browser and xmapp) and followed every step on the mentioned website but I couldn't get the website to work.

Does anyone know how to make it work again? I really don't want to spend any money on it, but if there is no other way to do it, I am willing to spend some money.

Please don't say anything like "Don't do it, it is too dangerous" or something. I know that and I am willing to take the risk

Lots of issues.

A website needs a domain name - - do you have one and can you find its ipaddress like
nslookup myDomain.name

Since it is a .onion website the domain name will be automatically generated and I can't really decide which one to get
So yes, I do have a domain name but no, I cannot find its ipaddress with nslookup

Hmm; I would guess your system runs locally but can't be accessed by anyone on your lan and certainly not from a public user.

does xampp start , stop, start without errors?

Yes, it starts and restarts without a problem
The ports stay the same but whenever I restart Apache nothing works anymore and I have to reinstall xampp

Hmm; the wiki says
Such addresses are not actual DNS names, and the .onion TLD is not in the Internet DNS root, but with the appropriate proxy software installed, Internet programs such as Web browsers can access sites with .onion addresses by sending the request through the network of Tor servers.

Tell you what, I have Apache2 on my laptop and use it for site development. Getting browser access to this server is as easy as http: // localhost/pagename OR http: //127.0.0.1/pagename

There's no DNS requirement in ether case as localhost -> 127.0.0.1 the default on every system.

Configure your xampp to run on localhost.

===
If you installed Apache in c:\Apache, then look in c:\Apache\logs.
get a command prompt and use NOTEPAD ERROR.LOG to see what's wrong, perhaps pasting as a followup.

I did configure xampp to run on localhost and everytime I type in the "normal" browsers address bar "localhost" or "localhost:80" (I've set the port to 80) then the xampp page shows up.
When I type in my .onion website in the torbrowser, the xampp page shows up
When I replace index.php in the xampps folder with my html file, the page displayed changes from the xampp page to my html file

So I think that everything works fine until I restart Apache in xampp

I just figured out that it is not xampp which causes the problem but the tor browser
I have to delete my hidden services in the tor browser folder and get a new hostname, that is the address

When everything is set up fine, I can access the site on the phone and other devices which use the same wifi as the computer on which the webserver is

it is not xampp which causes the problem but the tor browser
GOOD!!
set up a .onion website on the TOR Network for my graduation project (mandatory to graduate).
is the requirement a website or a TOR website (which I would severely challenge) ?

Back