Website problems and more.

videobruce

Hate to be the bearer of mad news, but when I validated the home page for the forums I got 186 errors on that page along!:
http://validator.w3.org/

and you can go here also to see more:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/

When I tried to send a e-mail to the webmaster I got it returned:

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.
Recipient: <"mailto:julio"@techspot.com>
Reason: 5.1.1 <"mailto:julio"@techspot.com>... User unknown
Please reply to Postmaster@verizon.net
if you feel this message to be in error.

It's apparent that the site was written for IE. Really bad mistake. IE isn't, wasn't, will NEVER be ANY kind of standard!

W3C is and should be adheared to.

The forums are written by vBulletin, not us.

The forums work fine in Opera 7.54, Firefox 1.0 and IE 6.0SP1, those are the browsers I use...

The rest of Techspot.com looks fine also, there might have been some minor formatting errors in the past but those should be gone with the new CMS...

The error message for the mail means that that mailserver tried to send the e-mail to the old Techspot server at 12.96.164.87, not our current server at 70.85.4.244...

That issue should get resolved as soon as that mailserver updates it's DNS records...

The forums are written by vBulletin, not us.
Ok, it still doesn't change the fact that the home page had 186 errors on it!

I do use Opera V7.54 also and it does seem to work for me ok.

It doesn't change the fact, but it means that you should go complaining to the makers of vBulletin, not the users of it.

videobruce said:
It's apparent that the site was written for IE. Really bad mistake. IE isn't, wasn't, will NEVER be ANY kind of standard!
With 90% or so people using it, IE IS the standard :)

Okay - IE may not be the current W3C agreed upon standard - but it's definitely the norm. What's more important - targeting the standard or targeting the norm? Standards change... and usually to fit the norm. If you see a mass exodus to another browser I can guarantee that you'll start seeing more pages fitted to that browser.

Back