Weekend Open Forum: Do you purchase groceries or order food online?

Jos

open forum

The idea of purchasing groceries online isn’t new, but several limitations have kept it from reaching mainstream audiences. Nevertheless progress is being made by the likes of FreshDirect, AmazonFresh, Instacart and dozens others operating in a handful of cities or focusing on a particular niche.

Meanwhile, online food ordering from restaurants has already grown into a multi-billion dollar business (GrubHub made its IPO today), but still represents a tiny fraction next to offline takeaway or delivery. In both cases the focus is mainly on convenience rather than low prices -- always up-to-date options and no dealing with crowds or phone calls with noisy restaurants.

This week we want to know: do you regularly purchase groceries or order food online? Which services do you use and what has your experience been like?

Permalink to story.

No, I have never ordered food or groceries online. I'm not aware if such services are available in the Philippines since I live in a rural area far from urban centers.

what I'm aware is the services offered by mercury drug store (a drugstore chain in the Philippines) where one can order drugs thru telephone and then picked up by the buyer after prescription is confirmed and payment done.

I never bought any type of food online. I don't even order on line and go to the store when it's ready.

I'm retired, and I enjoy getting out of the house.

Redbox is in most major supermarkets.

So, I go buy food, and pick up a movie to watch at the same time.

My internet is only 1 meg DSL. That makes it impossible for me to have the "privilege" of paying $5.00 to stream a movie online, and forces me to pay a dollar and twenty five cents at Redbox to watch the same s***. (And get fresh milk while I'm at it).

Nope, I've never bought anything online, not even a takeout. I'm retired and I enjoy walking to the supermarket every alternate day and chatting with other old geezers there.

My wife occasionally purchases groceries online. At first she used Ocardo but now uses Waitrose. As I have to pass a Waitrose store on the way home she normally just sends me a text message.

The store is less than a mile away. they have an awesome deli which changes items all the time. I like to try new things, and babe watch at the same time.

I live in a somewhat rural area, so the opportunities are limited. Despite that, I love ordering takeout online. I like being able to sit in my house, taking as much time as I want to figure out what to order, and then have it be ready when I arrive at the restaurant.

We don't have food delivery here. If we did, I'd use it.

I don't order food as in grocery stuff but I do order a pizza in now and then. Nice when you don't have cash on the hip so you can pay on the card instead.

I can't say I've grocery shopped online. But, I do buy tea and coffee from online vendors. I also will order pizza or Chinese if my no one feels like cooking. I imagine it would be a bit expensive to really grocery shop online. Plus, you don't even know what you're getting until you get it.

Buy groceries. The only time I ordered groceries online was for a required project for this consumer sciences class...

I started to say "no, that's ridiculous", then I remembered that the cereal I was eating came from Amazon.

So far I haven't bought any groceries or ordered any food online but I'm glad I have the option of doing so if I want.

Well Pizza and some takeout before, I guess if were literally talking about groceries the only thing I have done have been some exotic hot sauces or spices.

Back