Weekend Open Forum: Do you think Nintendo should bring its IP to mobile/other platforms?

Justin Kahn

There has been a lot of talk surrounding the future of Nintendo even before confirmation of poor Wii U sales hit. The company recently announced plans to buy back a boatload of shares and has gone on record saying that it is considering merger and acquisition options. While none of this directly points to Mario and friends landing on other platforms, it does bring up the question of what's in store for the near future. I believe many people think of Nintendo on Android and immediately think of some kind of garbage mobile port, when chances are, if Nintendo ever spreads its wings, it won't be sacrificing quality.

With about $8.6 billion in the bank and no debt, Nintendo certainly isn't in bad shape and will continue to call the shots. However the idea of some kind of merger with say, a group with a more mature creative sensibility could lead to some amazing spin off products. I'm thinking a gritty, yet still Nintendo-approved Zelda or Metroid. Whether its on another platform or not, it will be interesting to see how Nintendo moves forward. I'm not particularly interested in mobile Mario and Nintendo surely isn't going to let the PC modders officially get their hands on its IP anytime soon, but something to shake it up a bit and get me to play more than one Nintendo game a year would be nice.

What do you think about the future of Nintendo? Should they offer mobile titles? Do you think some kind of M&A deal could lead to something interesting?

Permalink to story.

YES!!!!

They have lost the console market, that has been won by the likes of Sony with the Playstation and Microsoft with the XBOX. There's really no use for Nintendo to make another console just to end up with another bloody nose. The mobile gaming platform has all been decimated by the likes of Apple and Android devices, again... no use in making another device just to get another bloody nose.

Release the games on the Apple and Android platforms already and try and salvage the brand.

No.
I want to see Nintendo make a good normal cheap console. But apparently thats not going to happen...

Why not? They can still make consoles and jump into the mobile market at the same time. And I think that's exactly what they're going to end up doing.

No!

I think there's room for Nintendo and a more affordable console system than the Xbox One or PS4. And I think that Nintendo just had a bad release in 2012. They needed better titles available at launch. Their next launch requires them to have better development kits well in advance before the console is released.

I would like to not require another console to play some of my favorite IP's, but I can't see that happening. As long as it has the potential to sell their platforms (the 3ds is still going strong), they'll keep it to themselves...

The mobile strategy I want from Nintendo is to release a good mobile add-on controller and allow using a mobile device instead of a Wii U tablet controller. Then sell a Wii U without a tablet controller (but with a classic controller) for cheap.

Nintendo doesn't have a business plan for mobile. (Yet) People seem to be forget that they are mainly a device manufacturer.

That said, Nintendo is currently missing out on some cash on the mobile market, as for example GBA emulators are quite popular on Google Play. Still, the current platform isn't dying anytime soon, and if it's not dead, it doesn't need fixing.

@ET3D Nintendo has always hit the mark with their controllers, and the idea does seem rather interesting. I, however would like to see this implemented on mobile-platform rather than on the Wii U.

Would it be possible to run some games from the handheld side (possibly even console) on a tablet, using an external controller? Would people buy this kind of a product? I still want to see a SSBM remake on Android, with multiplayer of course, make this a thing!

The biggest problem is pricing; Nintendo-games aren't exactly cheap compared to what you see on mobile. It's hard to justify the prices on a platform, that values free content. I do see Nintendo moving into the mobile/app business, but it's probably not going to happen as soon as fans would like it to.

Was that spider in the ocarina of time? Can't remember without all the polygons

I think that was the tech demo for the WiiU. I wanted a WiiU so bad after that was shown... Then I waited to see how the console would do, like I always do... and saw nothing that looked this good... and still havent seen zelda on WiiU, but then again, I do not have that many customers that play new generation Nintendo products.

Only had two customers with WiiU. I was installing the satellite while one of the customers daughter played on the controller. Other, I didn't even get to see it in action.

I do not think Nintendo needs to go into the tablet market, bad idea I say. You just can't get good gameplay from the interface.... but, prove me wrong, I would be glad to eat my words, as long as Nintendo advances in the right direction.

What if someday apple or samsung release a small, very good and cheap control for their smartphones and tablets?

Why do that, Nintendo is more valuable than all Sony.
Nintendo is the only one to build consoles, microsoft and Sony now build pc's. For that is better steam box.

I rather see a cheaper more basic (yet quality made) console and more first party Nintendo games roll out faster while maintaining quality.

The Wii U and 2014 actually have quite a nice lineup of must haves if your a Nintendo fan.

I think that would destroy half their company since it does not fit their company's strategy. For their marketing strategy you can see it as follows: Imagine you are selling laptops with all the parts originally build for your laptop. Now imagine that people rather use just either the casing or some inner parts instead of the whole machine. forcing you to drop everything but just a few things. From that point on you have to rely on the fact you have some unique selling points or you will eventually have to drop the ball and put out the lights because others will take away your position.

The reason Nintendo is still on the market today is because of their unique selling point. You want to play awesome games (Mostly family games) and it requires you to buy their machine. Without their machine Mario would soon not be unique and will slowly dissapear or replaced by things such as angry birds...

Don't believe me? How about Naughty dogs's Crash Bandicoot. Used to be a really big name. Nowadays I'm wondering if some of the younger generation ever heard about it. It had no own platform and thus had to rely on its unique selling point but eventually lost it against games such as rachet and clank...

I think it's time to put Nintendo to bed. Nintendo is like Blackberry letting everyone pass them by.
As much as I want to agree with you, I cant. Nintendo was a huge part of my childhood and I cant just watch them die like that. But yeah, many are probably thinking that currently.

Back