Weekend Open Forum: How do you prefer to read books?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

open forum weekend open forum

Technology has cast a wide-reaching net over virtually every aspect of daily life. Even mundane tasks like reading have been transformed over the years. It arguably started with newspapers and magazines as many turned to the web for speedier and more up-to-date information.

More recently, e-book readers, tablets and even large-screen smartphones have cannibalized the publishing industry. People are still reading books, mind you, it’s just that more and more people are putting down the physical book in exchange for digital copies.

With this weekend open forum, we want to know how you read books these days. Do you prefer the trusty paperback or hardcover book or would you rather kick back with a Kindle or other form of digital device to read from?

Permalink to story.

Books = paper books = hard cover or paperback
ebooks? = never heard of it. ebook reader? = what is that?

the truth: I used to read "real paper" morning papers until I my country's newspapers are fully digitized. full digital editions are paid subscription-based, the free editions are enough for me. I just grab the headlines and know more about the news when I tune my tv to free broadcasts. yes, I don't have a satellite tv subscription. :)

textbooks are a different matter to me. I prefer the real paper back or hard cover whenever the situation warrants it like the books are on marked down sales (for 1-2$ or less) or just free hand-me-downs. I can't bear to read stories/articles on ebook reader, tablet, or computer in the long run. I love to read a good paper book while I do my 'bank deposit' every morning or while I slumber in my bed or sofa. I can read my paper book while in the bus or metro rail and it does not need recharging. all I need is a sufficient light source and I'm set.

I'll take a real book anytime. Have likely hundreds of pdf's on my computer I would love to read, but even on a 24" 16:10 calibrated IPS screen, just hate it. Never had a tablet or e-book reader, but I read the e-book readers don't handle pdf files well

Last January I discovered audio books. Nine months and 46 'read' books later, I couldn't be more happy.

I prefer larger paperbacks. The game of thrones paperbacks were a great size to sit open on a table by themselves like a hardcover without being heavy or expensive like a hardcover. Small paperbacks shut themselves easily which is annoying while reading and eating.

I have read Kindle on Paperwhite, iPhone, and iPad mini. My favourite it is reading on my iPad mini. In the evening I read white characters on black, and dim the display. I prefer this much over paper. I'm looking forward to a iPad mini with Retina coming out - This would make an awesome reader.

I like real magazines that I can open up and not have to scroll constantly for articles. I guess it is the same with newspapers except I hardly read them. The Nook Simple Touch or my Android tablet, but especially the Nook have become my choice for reading Novels. Wish I had bought the lighted version though, but yeah I look me some Nook.

Paper still wins.

1. Free newspapers in every coffee shop and used bookstores make print editions cheaper more often than not. Lending and borrowing make it even more economical.
2. No electricity required. Even if the power is out and its after dark there's always candles or lanterns.
3. No fragile gadget to tote around.
4. Most local and regional publications don't have electronic editions.
5. Newspaper has multiple uses: packing material, dropcloth, fish wrap, etc.
6. Paper is renewable and recyclable. The largely coal-fired electricity all these devices rely on is not.
7. The NSA can't watch you through a paperback (unless they really, really want to).
8. A book collection looks cool on your shelves although dusting can be an annoyance.
9. Printed books can't be retconned. Electronic media is open to constant revisionism.
10. You look more intelligent reading a book than staring at tablet.

Last January I discovered audio books. Nine months and 46 'read' books later, I couldn't be more happy.
Exactly what I think, I found them about 3 years ago and since then have gone through about 300 books and entire series that I would have never read through normally. Audiobooks are great for when I am at work and can't sit down to read since I can just use my head phones and listen or when going somewhere, or to doctors office or anywhere else.

Paper wins.
11. You can start a fire with paper
12. Who reads 20 books at the same time ? I only need one at a time.
13. Instant navigation with visual feedback on progress
14. Handwriting is more memorable than a font

Morning newspaper,novels definitely paper.
But when it comes to technical reference books(eg. dictionary) I just prefer ebook as I can search with much more ease what I want, just search for the word whose meaning you look for and they are easy to carry.

I prefer reading by buying pocket book versions or paperbacks. It gives me headaches reading in computers, more or less in tablets.

Paper still wins.

1. Free newspapers in every coffee shop and used bookstores make print editions cheaper more often than not. Lending and borrowing make it even more economical.
2. No electricity required. Even if the power is out and its after dark there's always candles or lanterns.
3. No fragile gadget to tote around.
4. Most local and regional publications don't have electronic editions.
5. Newspaper has multiple uses: packing material, dropcloth, fish wrap, etc.
6. Paper is renewable and recyclable. The largely coal-fired electricity all these devices rely on is not.
7. The NSA can't watch you through a paperback (unless they really, really want to).
8. A book collection looks cool on your shelves although dusting can be an annoyance.
9. Printed books can't be retconned. Electronic media is open to constant revisionism.
10. You look more intelligent reading a book than staring at tablet.
Watch out for NSA agents staring at you though two eye holes punched out in their newspapers.

I'd probably prefer libraries since I've spent a lot of time getting books from there since elementary. Wouldn't mind having a Kindle, but I've never had a problem waiting books to become available.

Paper for books and magazines. They're cheaper, more versatile, easier and quicker to navigate. The next generation probably doesn't understand, but I'll stay with what works for me.

Kindle paperwhite if I'm reading for enjoyment, paper if I'm reading a technical text. In my view paper has two advantages:

(1) Ability to precisely flip through pages if you know the text.
(2) The ability to make notes in the margins (Yes, you can make notes in a kindle but I challenge you to right a math proof in the margins and not get frustrated).

However the things I like about the kindle:
(1) I can carry a whole library with me, and buy a new book when I need it at any time.
(2) It automatically saves my spot.
(3) It has a light that doesn't keep me up at night, but still lets me see in the dark

I like carrying books with me. I wouldnt mind reading a text book on a tablet or something since they are pain to carry.

I was an early e-book adopter, then stopped being a big fan because of format issues and DRM. However, I have no problem with either paper or electronic. Both have their benefits, and for electronic I think that the wide variety easily available is what makes it attractive. That and the fact that they don't take shelf space.

Digital got me reading comics, for example. I've been interested in them, but they're not that easy to find here. Comixology lets me sample a lot of them for free, and I can buy them easily.

Back