How much mobile data do you use and what do you pay for it?

Jos

Mobile data usage has surged in recent years with the proliferation of smartphones and speedy 4G networks. But as demand for bandwidth increases on the back of social networks and media streaming services, carriers are tightening the grip with expensive plans for heavy users or “unlimited” data plans with a bunch of caveats and restrictions.

In this Weekend Open Forum we want to know, how much is your cell phone bill and how much mobile data do you use in any given month?

Image credit: Ben Patterson

Permalink to story.

Here in Canada (Québec with bell), I have a 4GB shared plan with my wife and I pay 25$ per month for it... But really we never use it more than 50%... The full cell phone bill is 110$ for both phone (nexus 5X) unlimited talk + the 4GB plan

Here in Canada (Québec with bell), I have a 4GB shared plan with my wife and I pay 25$ per month for it... But really we never use it more than 50%... The full cell phone bill is 110$ for both phone (nexus 5X) unlimited talk + the 4GB plan
guess I'll write Quebec since you d'ont support utf-8

4-5gb/month 45 dollars a month through straight talk, also includes
unlimited text/talk.

I have unlimited 4g data via AT&T but they'll throttle you after 22gb..which I'm usually beating at the door of by the end of the month. Its mind boggling that in 2016, in the USA, and with an interstate in my backyard that the only practical option I have for Internet is an ancient cell plan. Third world countries are leaving America behind when it comes to telecom.

I'm on Ting with a S7 Edge. They have GSM and CDMA options meaning you can ride the TMo network or the Sprint network. I chose GSM.

I only use mobile data when I travel because wifi is everywhere for everyday stuff.
My bill averages around 15 bux a month.

$10/1gb on tracfone, I usually buy a gig every other month, so I pay for the one year card in may (thats $100) then I spend around $5 a month on data.

I have 5gb data plan. I find I use at most 3gb per month. I seldom watch youtube or listen to spotify when I'm outside.

Boost mobile I pay $80 a month for 2 lines unlimited talk, text, and data, with 8gig wifi Hotspot. Usage average around 35gig of data per line a month.

Unlimited 4G and calls/sms for 18euros with throttling after 70GB here in Lithuania. Usage highly inconsistent, sometimes barely using, sometimes going over the limit if I spend more time in public transport that month.

I practically use WLAN everywhere. At work, home, at friends/familys home aso. So, as a result of that, my mobile data usage is not very high.

I have a 2Gb data plan with 2 hours of talk time, unlimited sms and mms for 69 DKR (US$ 10,10) per month.

4G included, though I have it turned off as a result of 3G being faster in my area (25-30 Mbit/s) than 4G (10-15 Mbit).

Normally I use between 500-700 Megs per month. I have an added service which gives me 5 Gb more data for just around 5 bucks, but this service is only charged if I use all my regular data amout. So it only happens once a year when we are on vacation. I think it is an excellent way of adding data when needed, so I don't pay for way too much data every month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay $45 a month for 5gigs 4G. But, the fact that high speed data is limited is a joke! Just a cash grab for the greedy phone companies. They like to charge more, for something that doesn't cost them anything.

I compare that to DLC for gaming. Paying for something for full access, but it's really not - is it?

I was paying a thing called a "Technology Fee" to Comcast for years. $10 a month. They finally were pressured to remove it, or just implement it into my monthly bill. Some how in a more clever way, I would not see it. I am still paying the same or more for my Cable/Internet service!

7GB of data, 4G up to 300 Mbps in supported areas, unlimited calls and SMS + free roaming in all Baltic and Nordic countries and I pay 9 euros per month. I'm from Lithuania. Data goes to watching videos and listening to Spotify

I pay for 2GB @ £7 per month through work, which also gives me access to millions of wi-fi hotspots round the country.
My GF pays £10 a month and the package started off kinda crappy but went up every few months as a loyalty package. Now she gets 3GB and unlimited calls and texts.

I used to LOVE it on Consumer Cellular, but now they have a new policy. Once you breech the upper limit they automatically upgrade to the next higher level and you CANNOT SET IT BACK except once a year. Their did the same with their voice minutes too. Really sucks and you can't get through to a person any longer, everything gets diverted to recordings or tells you to go to their web page; so they are well on their way to loosing their appeal, especially for us older folks.

Think it's time I went back to the basic flip phone and just did the mobile data on my pad, connecting through wi-fi. Just shows that greed is never ending!

Data plans are a ripoff, I just use wifi. also I take the bus a lot and the company I use has free wifi on their buses.

I have iPhone 7 Plus 256 GB.

I use in excess of 15GB per month.

SIRIUS XM uses a large amount of my data, followed by Facebook and uploading HD video or Live video feeds.

I am grandfathered into iPhone 1's AT&T Unlimited Data: $30 plan and I have only 450 minutes with rollover.

I have amassed rollover minutes because I use my office phone or home landline (FIOS) for most conversations.

MY MONTHLY BILL is $85 because I have a 19% business discount (as do my employees).

I wish I could switch to Verizon for higher call quality, but I'm grandfathered in to a very inexpensive iPhone plan, and I don't want to simply leave.

I leave ALL of my data services on, I download app updates over LTE and I don't need to worry about data.

I have T-Mobile in the US.

Unlimited plan, typically use 15gb per month. I pay $200 for 7 phone lines and 2 data lines (1 tablet, 1 hot spot). Only my line has unlimited, everyone else has 10gb.

20euros for unlimited data, calls and texts. Some months I use over 50gb when I travel (inside borders) and use laptop trough phone but mostly it's 5gb or under.

Back