Interests outside of technology?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Internet and technology in general is all around us. It’s not uncommon for some to spend virtually every waking hour in front of a computer or glued to a smartphone / tablet, especially if your job is involved. Yet even the most connected among us can benefit from a little time away from the web / PCs / mobile devices.

With this week’s open forum, we’re curious what you do to unwind and disconnect. Maybe it’s a good book, bowling with friends or a day out with the family? I recently got back into RC cars (a hobby that I abandoned about five years back) and enjoy photography. How about you?

Permalink to story.

Honestly, I don't think I have anything that I would say intrests me to the same degree as much of my technology interests. Even things like going on runs I enjoy based on it being GPS tracked and Heart rate monitored. Sure I do it for health benefits and well being, but it intrests me because there is technology attached.

OH, maybe I do. I like to go to the shooting range with my pistol and rifle.

I breathe Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, it's the one thing in life that interests me more than technology and games. I spend more time on the mat choking people and getting choked than anything else. And when I'm home, you can be sure I'm on youtube checking some techniques. And I kid you not, from the neck down, my body is covered with bruises.

Paintball beyond anything else not tech related. I mean, yeah I guess someone could classify paintball guns as "technology", but I mean come on... It's not about the tech. But paintball definitely gets my blood flowing, and I love it more than pretty much any other sport. There's a certain adrenaline you get in paintball that you might not get doing other things.

Astronomy and cycling. I'm looking to get into astrophotography, but I need some very expensive equipment to do so. As far as cycling goes, I sometimes go on rides lasting 6-7 hours. I even attempted The Great Allegheny Passage not too long ago. I also love playing pool. I use to be a lot better and play a lot more, but life got in the way. And since I don't think drinking is considered a hobby that's about it for me. Cheers!

I love taking my 21 year old PSB speakers and 24 year old Pioneer Receiver out to the patio and listen to all kinds of music. I am also an avid boxing fan, so every few months I go on a personal boxing camp. You will catch me training at a nearby lake. I will get on my skateboard or skates and go around the neighborhood. The countdown to my 50th birthday has started, so the goal is to be in 20 something shape when that moment gets here.

Been weightlifting for the past 2 years and it's pretty much tied with tech nowdays as far as things I live for go. Something relatable to you guys might be that it did wonders for my broken posture and wrist/forearm fatigue among other things. I'd recommend it to anyone to try it on some level especially if you're like me and have been sitting infront of a computer for most of your life=P

Homebrewing. And of course drinking... My favourite pastime, which I can always combine with reading your site.

Astronomy and cycling. I'm looking to get into astrophotography, but I need some very expensive equipment to do so. As far as cycling goes, I sometimes go on rides lasting 6-7 hours. I even attempted The Great Allegheny Passage not too long ago. I also love playing pool. I use to be a lot better and play a lot more, but life got in the way. And since I don't think drinking is considered a hobby that's about it for me. Cheers!
Cycling and astronomy for me as well. The last time I played pool was during my 'misspent' youth where I used to hustle at pubs (just kidding, I wasn't good enough to hustle but I did play in pubs and I wasn't too bad at it). I do like snooker more although I suck big time.

When the devices go off, any of the following:

Weight lifting, running (trails), guitar, piano, reading, volunteer work

I do a lot of activities not connected, most of them I enjoy. Target Shooting, Hunting, Tracking, Fishing, Hiking and Camping are just a few off the top of my list. Depending on what the current season is, dictates what I do. Most of the time I can get all of these in one weekend, when I'm lucky.

Well, I'm strongly into music, including classical and early music. I've been taking opera vocal classes for a couple of years now. And I've started practicing Irish dance about four months ago. And I really like literature.

Also, does algorithmic music composition count? It's partially computer science, partially music theory. I haven't created any pieces yet, but I'm reading articles and gathering information about the topic.

Playinhg mcdonald bingo. Won two tickets to drury lane's stageplay of beaches in oak brook,il and the ten dollar jackpot for one dollar entry fee. Usually win a free sandwich. Swim in the poll here at the apartment and go for walks. Donate food to a soup kitchen/church in downers grove, il but just now go there to eat since my mom won't let me drive since she thinks I have eyesight problems. One week the ham I broght was literally the only meat the hundred people there had the next week. Am attending a dental school as a patient paying low rates and I need ten cavities filled because my quack won't give me ambien except for every other day and it d antihistamine alternative dries siliva nad causes decay. Had 22 teeth worked on ten years ago for a similar reason. Ouch. Forcing me to have cataract surgery which I don't want because I think it's pollution, and they don't even go in at the whites of the eyes; they cut right thru the cornes That's my major career, a career in quackery.

Photography is very technical today. Modern cameras can do some amazing things. I enjoy photographing railway related items and occasionally upload pictures to Facebook but before hand they are tweaked using Photoshop (another example of technology). I am always on the lookout for unusual trains such as special excursions, freight and engineering trains. So where does the information come from? The Internet!

One of the few activities I do undertake that does not rely on technology is walking the dog but the time he gets taken out for a walk quite often revolves around train movements gleamed from the Internet.

I run, lift weights, and most fun of all, I go bowling. Averaging in the high 180s at the moment, almost at 190s. Looking to average 200+ at some point here.

Photography. I'm in my mid 50's. Started taking photos when I was a kid. Teen years, well, there were other interests...in my 20's, started taking photography seriously enough to get a SLR. Back then, you had to think about the shot, because each snap, cost you money in film & developing cost. Retired both of my film cameras in 2010 and went to a dSLR. I shoot between 5000-6000 frames per year, mostly on weekends. Air shows, flowers, fall trees, animals, kids. Pretty much anything. I don't even bother with the auto mode on the camera. I shoot everything in MANUAL mode, save for the auto focus. Most of the time, I don't even bother with OIS, if shooting about 1/100th of a second.
On the weekend, I'll fill the tank in my car, and just head which ever way my thoughts take me. Might be 50 miles, might be 200 miles. I live in the southwest Missouri Ozarks, and near the old Rt66 routes, so there is always ample opportunity to find something to photograph.

I do a lot of reading - knock out 2-3 books a week. I'm in the gym a lot too, love to lift weights. During football season (American football that is), I'm glued to the TV watching any game I can find.

Fishing and camping, even though I'm allergic to shellfish and fish. I brought tons of gear just waiting on my friends and family to decide on a damn date to go camping or fishing.

Read more tech then involved in, like the news and what is going on. My boys keep me busy outside work with soccer, football, & this year mtb composite team... That old Walmart special don't like the trails. Hardly have to pull the Bow back, and get some time at a few 3d courses.

Heresy I say! There is nothing outside of tech! In all seriousness, I enjoy a great many things, from cooking to working on my house, but at the end of the day Tech will always be something I really enjoy spending time with.

Photography. I'm in my mid 50's. Started taking photos when I was a kid. Teen years, well, there were other interests...in my 20's, started taking photography seriously enough to get a SLR. Back then, you had to think about the shot, because each snap, cost you money in film & developing cost. Retired both of my film cameras in 2010 and went to a dSLR. I shoot between 5000-6000 frames per year, mostly on weekends. Air shows, flowers, fall trees, animals, kids. Pretty much anything. I don't even bother with the auto mode on the camera. I shoot everything in MANUAL mode, save for the auto focus. Most of the time, I don't even bother with OIS, if shooting about 1/100th of a second.
On the weekend, I'll fill the tank in my car, and just head which ever way my thoughts take me. Might be 50 miles, might be 200 miles. I live in the southwest Missouri Ozarks, and near the old Rt66 routes, so there is always ample opportunity to find something to photograph.

Still trying to get into this myself.

Back