Weekend Open Forum: Is your phone in a protective case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorpus

Staff member

open forum wof smartphone case weekend open forum phone

I'm one of those people who uses a smartphone without any sort of protective case or cover, and that's not just because I have to review them in all their naked glory. Cases often make a phone bulkier and uglier than their naked form, and I'm not the sort of person who frequently drops their expensive handset.

But I can understand why some people do slap a case on their phone. If you accidentally drop it, there's a good chance the display will shatter, even though most modern phones are actually very well built. Gorilla Glass can go only so far to protecting your investment, and many people aren't willing to risk it.

So in this weekend open forum, we're asking what category you fall in to. Are you the person who keeps their phone naked and unprotected? Or do you prefer to bulk it up with the protection of an external case? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Trident Kraken for Note3 and for my work S5, had otterbox defender for S3 and my work Note2, Kraken for Incredible. In my line of work, if you don't have a rugged-ised case for your phone, you are at risk of breaking it.

Though I had the Otterbox for my S3, I ended up splintering the screen in a crawl space; Trident from now on!

I have a new iphone 5s and previously had an iPhone 5. Used a cygnett case on both. Minimal. It's a tidy case that doesn't increase phone size and it saved the iPhone 5 through several drops. I also put a Matt screen protector on as soon as I get a phone. Just sold the 5 for very reasonable money so I think it's worth it

Yes. I credit it with protecting the phone from at least 5 significant falls and a near brush with Obama a few weeks ago when he was in town.

Yes, but only because it fell down day after buying and protective box has a leash mounting point. Why did manfacturers resign from this gadget? To sell more?

Yes, but it fell off my hand and glass still shattered. Same as the one shown here.

Last edited:
Yes, SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series. I just got my first smartphone for Christmas. As many times as I had dropped old phones, and my daughter's tablet (shattering the screen), I felt naked using my phone anywhere other than on a carpeted surface until I picked up a case for it a month or so later. The case I got does not add much bulk to my Moto G. I also have a Devicewear Ridge case for my Nexus 7, which likely contributed to saving it from a couple of nasty drops (one from almost five feet onto asphalt).

If you can call a simple thin plastic case protective....

No phones broken or cracked yet and I have yet to damage a phone in a way where a case would've prevented it...

Bought Nexus 5 upon release. Never had any case, never had any screen protector.

Still alive and kicking, but it already has some minor scratches at sides.

Tech21 case and Tech Armor glass protection on an LG G3.
The case is extremely well designed British ingenuity.
The T-Armor is also perfect in execution.

Wouldn't go without on both fronts!

$5 TPU case from Amazon, I've used one on every phone I have owned for the past 6yrs. It's custom molded and ultra dense material makes it a virtual force field for most impacts and scrapes. Incredibly flexible, washable and comes in dozens of colors and design patterns. Add an impact resistant screen protector made of tempered glass and you have the best protection to bulk ratio available.

I use a sleeve to carry my phone around in but I don't have a case attached to the phone anymore. It seems a shame to cover a slim, well made device with something - I want to enjoy the tactile experience of using it as God intended.

I use a sleeve to carry my phone around in but I don't have a case attached to the phone anymore. It seems a shame to cover a slim, well made device with something - I want to enjoy the tactile experience of using it as God intended.
If God didn't want you to use a case for your phone, He wouldn't have allowed cases to be created. :)

Tech21 case and Tech Armor glass protection on an LG G3.
The case is extremely well designed British ingenuity.
The T-Armor is also perfect in execution.

Wouldn't go without on both fronts!
Firstly I have never used a case with any of my phones, only phone I smashed to bits by accident (fell off my bike and landed on it) was my iPhone 4S.

That Tech21 stuff actually looks exactly what I am after though! I have a 6Plus now and they do the wallet style cover, I've read around and it appears almost everyone who gets a Tech21 case love it to bits so thanks to MoeJoe I might soon be using a case :)

Of course. I wouldn't dream of not putting my phone in a case. I've used cellphones since the early 90's and I haven't dropped one yet but there's always a 1st time besides they add functionality, apart from the obvious protection to the device such as not being able to pocket dial.
I'm very particular about my cases, I wouldn't just chuck any old thing on.
Would you walk around the street naked? Would you drive a car without using a seatbelt? Would you ride a bike without a helmet? The same thing applies to my mobile devices.
Aesthetics are somewhat important but I'm strictly a function over form person, not the blingy, showoff type at all.

I also have a TPU case on my last two phones, an Evo 4G and then upgraded to a One M7. I've dropped my phone almost daily over the last 4-5 years so I'm sure it helps at least keep the thing from getting scuff marks and dings. Glass is still immaculate, but I wonder how much of that is dumb luck.

I don't like the protected cases makes the cell phone look like toy and it just ugly looking. Another sell pitch to make you buy one. I use my leather case clipper that's good enough with a magnet snap on off.

I have a Moto G gen 2 and have the 'flip cover' case for it. Unlike most other phones, this case replaces the normal back, but also has the front cover. It has magnets that help hold it closed and tell the phone to go to sleep. I'm not worried about dropping it as much as the screen getting scratched from being in my pocket with other stuff.

For my line of work, a case is imperative. My Nexus 5 is protected by a ballistic SG Maxx case which has helped it survive quite a few drops, one drop on concrete from 25 feet onto concrete. It is always slipping out of my shirt pocket and falling and I know don't put it there, but there are times when that is the only place to put it. My apprentice now uses a case after breaking his Iphone screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back