Weekend Open Forum: Wearable technology - fad or future?

Jos

Staff

Wearable technology is being billed as the next big thing in computing and a number of companies have either jumped in already or are eyeing the market. Google is testing Glass, Sony and Pebble each have their take on what a ‘smart’ watch should be, with companies from Intel to Apple expected to make their move as well, while others are focusing their efforts on niche audiences with sensor-packed fitness trackers.

As the hardware inside our gadgets continues to get smaller and more powerful / efficient there’s no doubting the potential of the market -- but whether consumers respond to it is another question. Today we ask you: Do you already own or are looking to buy one of these devices? Is wearable tech the future or just a fad?

Permalink to story.

Considering how inseparable many people seem to be from their phones, I'd say we're already sort of amid a period of "wearable" mainstream technology. There's not much difference between having smart glasses strapped to your face and staring at a little glowing rectangle in your hand. As for the question in the headline, I can't comfortably predict the future but I wouldn't call wearable tech a fad either, so I guess that pretty much amounts to a digital shrug. I'd make the shift to something genuinely wearable if the user experience was polished enough, but I suspect that'll take a few major generations at least.

I think it has a future where it makes sense and is unobtrusive or or really helpful... I can see things like HUDs for soldiers or or scuba divers, but I cant see something like google glass or smart watches really taking off for joe average guy walking the street.

Unless we walk around naked, we will always wear a form of technology. Technology in general could never be a fad. Specific technology will always be a fad, otherwise innovation would be stagnate. Wearable electronics will throw a little spice in the pot for a stagnate clothing industry. This is only the beginning of widespread wearable electronics. Wearable electronics that will all be a fad as new innovations are created.

For a 'wearable' to catch on, it has to ride a 'killer' application. Matthew's point about cellphones supports this - as 'wearable' as corrective vision glasses or sun-glasses. They all serve the bearer. McBungle captures this concept when he identifies special purpose HUD. I think it is all about usefulness - if the item has sufficient utility, it is 'worn'.

However, there is another area of use which might result in wearable tech... fashion. In a world of wearable edibles and other such non-sense, anything is possible. I think I will just sit here in the bleachers and watch the parade.

Wearable technology or wearable electronics. Marty McFly had some pretty sweet wearable tech, but that's not what's coming out now. :)

I'd agree with Cycloid Torus, it has to have a function or it'll look as ridiculous as a bluetooth headset. The tech has to be subtle, like a watch that looks similar to a normal watch. It has to be tech that doesn't look like tech. Otherwise the wearer will end up just looking foolish.

Wearable tech is here now :) oculus rift and its 'eyewear' competitions, smartwatch and its iterations...

I'm not interested in any of it, but I can see where possibly the watches might come in handy. Especially for folks like first responders. However, I think I'm going to have to slap every person I see wearing Google glasses for being excessively self-centric and just plain stupid. ;)

Oculus Rift does count, its the only wearable device that actually affordable and is actually useful, I was lucky enough to get one of these and I cant wait for the next upgrade, google glasses (not even the most sexiest chick on the planet can make these look better, they just get even uglier) --- sorry but its a piece of crap, when you put innovators with geeks you get ****, even from day one...... what should of happened... Project one consult OAKLEY! Project two consult OAKLEY! <----that simple

google glasses (not even the most sexiest chick on the planet can make these look better, they just get even uglier)
Don't be partial, tell us how the Oculus Rift makes them look. I'm guessing it is the electronic version of putting a bag over their head. Whats funny is stating how ugly Google Glasses makes someone, after mentioning that you own the Oculus Rift.

As gadgets get smaller and smaller (and more powerful) so will their ability to seamlessly integrate into our daily lives. It's an undeniable fact that in a decade or so we'll have wearable gadgets and nobody can do anything to stop it.

Wearable tech has been around for a long time now. Even my grandfather, who has been deceased for a long time now wore a pocket watch. In his day that was hi tech stuff. I see no difference in the stuff we have today apart from the fact that it makes you look more ridiculous.

I believe wearable technology is a transition technology much like the 3D tv/movie that needs wearing glasses. Except this "transition" will be a long time. In the case of 3D tv/movie, there has already been product that doesn't require glasses to create the 3D effect. But in the case of google glass, to go from having to wear an physical device to not needing to "wear" a physical device, there are few major issues that still needs to be looked into: biotechnology, ethical issues, as well as legal issues. I believe these topics will need to be looked upon before the "wearable" technology will be able to advance to the next phase.

Back