What is your web browser of choice?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

open forum google apple mozilla firefox microsoft chrome opera internet explorer safari wof browser ie web browser

When I got online just before the turn of the century, there weren’t very many web browsers to choose from. I naturally went with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer because that’s what came pre-installed on my first computer.

I experimented with Netscape for a brief spell before settling in with Firefox for several years. A few years back, I moved over to Chrome although I’m starting to question that decision more and more each day.

With this week’s open forum, we’re like to hear about your browser of choice. Do you use one of the big five browsers – Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Safari – or do you prefer to surf the net using a more obscure offering? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I still primarily use Firefox at home, but I really do not have any particular complaints against IE 10/11. They have come a far, FAR way from the IE6/7/8 days, and I'm interested to see how and if Spartan lives up to all the hype. Chrome is Chrome, I don't hate it but I don't use it very much unless a page will not properly render on anything else. Or I have to edit someone else's Google doc.

It was Opera... and then they became a chrome clone and it lost everything I liked about it. Now I use Chrome on Win 7 and Safari on OS X.

64bit version of Firefox called Waterfox, https://www.waterfoxproject.org/ built for speed without all the stuff you don't need, then there's Cyberfox, https://8pecxstudios.com/cyberfox-web-browser further tweaked for graphics cards either Intel or AMD in both 32bit & 64bit, way better than IE
(hell IE is being dropped by Micro$oft in there new OS Win 10) or the other stuff out there, Opera is now yesterdays news. Comodo Dragon, not bad either, then there's Avant, http://www.avantbrowser.com/ for the really adventurous
Good luck to everyone, Safe Surfing!

Mainly Firefox at home with some Chrome. At work, Firefox most of the time and IE if necessary (SAP and other applications).

It was Opera... and then they became a chrome clone and it lost everything I liked about it. Now I use Chrome on Win 7 and Safari on OS X.
Same here, only I migrated to Firefox.

I used Opera for a few year, but before that is was strictly Internet Explorer. And if Firefox doesn't screw anything major up, I won't see a need in moving back to Microsofts offering. Although I am curious as to how well Spartan will be once it released for full stream usage.

Firefox can be a bumpy ride, but so can IE.
I use Firefox as my primary for everything I do regularly.
IE for those sites that require it - fewer and fewer in number, but still out there.

I work from home using systems running Slackware Linux, Windows 7, and OS X Yosemite. Firefox is my primary browser on all three, although I do use Chrome on all three along with IE on my Windows box and Safari on a Mac mini. Chrome on my Linux box is used mostly because of my Netflix addiction, and also because Google does a better job at supporting Flash for Linux than Adobe, but Firefox is the one browser that's always running no matter which computer I'm on and what I prefer to use doing day-to-day tasks.

Safari. Installed a new HDD recently and never found the motivation to reinstall Chrome.

I find it a greater challenge to keep Chrome off my PC. Why would I want to install it? /endsarcasm

I'll never intentionally install Chrome. Google has burnt that bridge!

What a freak show, considering that Chrome currently owns 63% of the market and climbing: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

In fact, Safari is the only browser that has been holding its pathetic market share consistently, while all other browsers are consistent in losing their share to Chrome, slowly but surely.

Just my opinion but looking back at the relatively short history of web browsers I fervently hope Chrome does NOT gain too much more market share. Whenever anything becomes a dominant player in any market or sector, that hurts competition which in turn stifles growth and open development. We all went through the horrible period when Microsoft shoved IE down our throats, bullying the online ecosystem and setting back open web development for years. When Mozilla re-ignited the browser wars it helped trigger the decline of IE's monopoly market share numbers, a boost for anyone who is in any way a part of today's Internet no longer crippled by Microsoft's encumbered, proprietary non-standards. (With a looming WebKit/Blink issue staring in our faces.)
In the long run Diversity will always win out over Monopoly.

Cyberfox on Windows and Firefox with the CTR extension on *nix and OS X.

Interesting question I just recently decided to go "all in" and use Firefox on all my devices. In the past I've moved from one browser to another just for a change of pace. Started with Netscape Navigator 1.0 and stuck with that line for ages. Tried IE until Firebird 0.6 then. Tried Chrome when it was released but couldn't get past Google releasing a browser to spy on everyone's surfing habits.

I wish there was a Navigator 2.0 skin for Firefox.

Back