Weekend Open Forum: What were your favorite announcements from CES 2015?

Justin Kahn

open forum ces razer hp lg consumer electronics show plex ces 2015 venue 7000

As CES 2015 wraps up, after days of new products, prototypes and more, it is time to look back on the most promising of the bunch.

HP announced a batch of new displays along with an inbound 27-inch 5K to top it off, Plex added new music features to its already stacked media organization apps, Razer launched an open VR gaming platform and LG showed off some of the nicer looking smart watches we’ve seen. LG’s webOS equipped prototype is still in its infancy in terms of development but is already showcasing some interesting features tied to Audi, among others.

Another interesting announcement was the availability of Dell’s new ”infinity” display Venue 7000 series tablet. Said to be the world’s thinnest tablet, its innovative camera tech, 6mm casing and edge-to-edge OLED are hard to pass up.

For this week’s open forum we want to know what you thought of this year’s CES. Leave a comment below on what gadgets and announcements have you most excited.

Permalink to story.

Didn't follow it too closely but was interested most in the autonomous technology showcased by Audi, Mercedes et. al. They (the Germans) have been relatively quietly developing the technology over the past several years and I have been consistently impressed with what I've seen. Although I am wary of autonomous tech becoming successful, I am a big fan of it in limited applications. Paired with the tech already employed by manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz, I am enthusiastic about how they may incorporate autonomous driving into their vehicles 10-15 years down the road.

I was really excited for this one: Acer's world’s first IPS monitor with G-SYNC capability. It is a 27” 2560x1440 resolution IPS panel, with a maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz.

I'm divided between the next chapter in SSD storage (Samsung's PCIe, and others) and Dell's XPS 13 with those crazy thin bezels. The 5k monitor, also from Dell, is cool but too expensive. Apple's iMac costs about the same and comes with a computer.

I think Origin's Desktop CPU inside a a laptop was sick!! No Thermal Throttling and not a huge form factor...

already available on their website. It will be a great product to review.

I'm interested in how the partnership between Coolermaster and CoolChip Technologies advances.

New, "on the horizon" SSDs and MSIs GT80 Titan SLI laptop.

Thus far, my Samsung 850 EVO SSDs look to be keepers for at least the next 12-18 months. The next chapter should see prices for existing SSDs continue to move downward. As for the MSI GT80 Titan, my wife and I are retired and take very frequent road trips lasting from a few days to a month or more. As a retired pilot and Air Traffic Controller, the only game I play is Flight Simulator. The GT80 is, admittedly, overkill, but after years of mediocre performance I want great performance no matter my location. This lappy will certainly do that and it's no heavier than my existing 17" lappy.

Back