TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite mobile messaging app?

By Jos
Feb 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Even though overall WhatsApp has taken the lead for monthly active users, the mobile messaging app landscape continues to be highly fragmented, with different services doing well in different global regions. What are you using for your mobile messaging needs?

Read more

2. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Favorite messaging app? LOL. I didn't know it had a name. I just hit the smiley face icon and send the messages. I guess I could care less. Mobile phones are only to be used when there is no desktop within a 10-mile radius.

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,560   +2,365

I typically use face-to-face. Many of my peers find the entire platform dated, but I like being able to smack people who disagree with me. Most other apps don't have that feature for reasons of liability.

gibbstar likes this.
  4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,260   +223

Kik

5. Imessage, love that it a 7 min video is considered a text message even went sent outside the country!

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

You're missing a category in your poll - I don't message.

And that would be me. :)

7. bob333

bob333 TS Enthusiast Posts: 49   +11

I am using GO SMS Pro!

8. tomsea:
    do you still use smoke signal? ;)

I seldom use other messaging apps but if I use one, I use viber.

waqasr likes this.
  9. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Would someone like to convince me how these are superior to normal SMS texting?

Adhmuz likes this.
  10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

SMS, 'nuff said. :)

11. The stock SMS one.
    It might cost a little bit more to use but it gets the job done.

12. dikbozo

dikbozo TS Enthusiast Posts: 82

I go rea;ll old school, pencil and paper with snail mail. Can't beat it for things like being impervious to internet snooping, battery running low, 40 below or 140 above (go ahead try to use your device in those extremes). I find that this way you think 3 or 4 times before sending anything and re-reading anything you do actually commit to writing. I would rather talk face to face,(not via Skype or something)than write and these both well before any texting type thing. Too many things get sent that are misunderstood and many times you get no chance to correct.

13. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

Email. No extra cost, unlimited length and formatting, everyone has an address and their device will always support it.

14. dikzobo:
    but what if the mailman is the one snooping (or your wife/husband/neighbor)? almost everything is not safe when someone is determined to know and extract information.

15. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 858   +339

SMS app I got with my phone does the job, clean and simple.

Adhmuz likes this.
  16. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,653   +523

I think I've said this before, why reinvent the wheel when your phone comes with one out of the box that works more than adequately for my needs. Must be a generational thing, the need to over complicate the uncomplicated.

17. dikbozo

dikbozo TS Enthusiast Posts: 82

Please note I wrote "impervious to 'INTERNET' snooping". the written matter would have top be digitized first and then it is no longer pencil and paper. A fine point but try to remember the focus here.

18. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Disabled stock Messaging and use Hangouts for SMS.

19. EClyde

EClyde TS Guru Posts: 707   +181

The telephone

20. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Hangouts is pretty dope.

21. Telegram!

22. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

I don't message either. I don't even own a cell phone.

23. thehacker

thehacker TS Enthusiast Posts: 116

Hike

24. Because chat apps are free to use whereas SMS cost an arm and a leg for many people.

25. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 858   +339

For chat apps you need internet and data connection is much more expensive than SMS, except if you have wireless everywhere you go which you probably don't.