Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite video game genre

Jos

Staff

When it comes to game genres, most people favor fast-paced action and shooting games, or at least that’s where the bulk of publishers’ budgets go to as it’s usually less of a risk compared to other kinds of games. According to the Entertainment Software Association’s last Essential Facts report, 24.5% of games sold in 2015 across any platform where shooters, followed by 22.9% for action games and 13.2% for sports.

If you look specifically at PCs, however, the balance is heavily tilted towards strategy games (36.4%), with casual games representing 25.8% of the market and role playing sitting at 18.7%. Shooters are only fourth on that list at a surprising 6.3% followed by adventure games at 5.9%.

For this Weekend Open Forum, we’re asking what is your preferred video game genre, and what are some of the best titles you’ve played within that category. As a side note, don't forget to check out our most anticipated games for 2017 for some inspiration.

Permalink to story.

Pretty much any game with gratuitous sex and nudity.

Just kidding. I'd have to say ARPGs in the realm of Diablo.

Old skool myself. Platform / side scrollers are my pick

... granted they hark back to the good ol days of Mario & Sonic, when just about every game was a side scroller... wish the industry would make more!

RPGs
The best I've played are Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Witcher, Dragon's Dogma, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and Diablo. Path of Exile is in my backlog.

Honorable Mention in the action department: Batman Arkham City has got to be the best game in the genre. I got the Arkham Knight at 75% off a few weeks ago and I'm not disappointed.

Flight/space/futuristic shooters. My tastes lean more toward the arcadey side than the sim side of things - Freespace, Crimson Skies (PC), MechWarrior. RTS and FPS probably tied for 2nd place.

Anything that's fun.

I can't really give a favorite because sometimes I throw dozens of hours into games like Stardew Valley, Halo, SWKOTOR, Soul Calibur, Forza, Garry's Mod, XCOM, etc...

Right now I'm really enjoying the For Honor closed beta and that's yet another genre lol

ARPG (Diablo), simulator/strategy (Football Manager, Tropico, Desperados) and RPG (KOTOR, South Park, Dragon Age).

I don't care what genre it is, I'll play any game just as long as I enjoy it and it's got a proper single player campaign. Online multiplayer doesn't interest me in the slightest so skip that altogether.
That said, I tend to prefer driving games like DiRT and action games like Assassins Creed, GTA, Batman, Mafia etc. Killing monsters, aliens, zombies, invading planets etc. is not for me either.

Last edited:
Fallout 3 & later (preferring the conventional weapons), Resident Evil (Code Veronica and earlier), Dino Crisis, Grans Turismo (All), Doom (All), Panzer General (old), X-Wing (an re-imagining would be good), Myst & later, NFL Gameday, The Last Of US (more games like this please), Uncharted (just beginning it), MLB (The Show), Metal Gear Series, Army of Two Series, Syphon Filter series.

Pretty much covers all my wasted time. Someday I might delve into MMO's.

Strategy, all day long.... Sometimes literally.

Also I love the odd board game with friends.

1. Crafting survival
2. MMORPG
3. FPS

A combination of all three would be the best! 7 Days to die does a pretty good job of it. - the MMO part

In general I like the JRPGs and turn based fantasy games but lately I've been playing Trading Card Games and I love it, graphics quality is not my first priority as you can understand

RPG's are #1 for me. Fallout 3 goes down as the best game I've ever played with Bioshock a very close second. I love being told a good story anyway, but when you get to be part of that story, so much the better.

A close second would be FPS's, which I also really enjoy, but I'm simply bad at them. Playing Titanfall 2, I'm always in the bottom 3 of the end-of-match scoring list. Doesn't stop me from playing though.

Back