TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: 1940s ENIAC computer on display, snake on a keyboard mod, 60 SSDs tested

By Matthew
Nov 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Eccentric billionaires are tough to impress, so their minions must always think big when handed vague assignments. Ross Perot's staffers did just that in 2006, when their boss declared that he wanted to decorate his Plano, Texas...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Interesting reads this week. Crazy how powerful an IPhone is compared to ENIAC. And was just reading an article on the possibility of plate tectonics on Europa. Then the whole cheater busts for Counter Strike. I wish there were a way to track those people down and take away their computers. The 3% who prefer to cheat or engage in grief play in online games are beyond pathetic.

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

All that I can do is laugh at those eSport douche bags who got caught cheating, and wonder how miserable their lives will be now that they have to go get real jobs without any real skills. Reminds me of just how pathetic these individuals are, I entered a CS:S tournament with my friends, we lost, and then the winners came over to give us hard time because we were too easily defeated. I had to refrain from knocking the little shits out, although that would have been a much better memory to have. Now time to see just how many "Pro Gamers" are actually just "Pro Hackers" on the inside.

I found this quote "When he was offered use of the program, KQLY says, the provider reassured him that “many pro players” were using it."

This should shed some light on the whole stupidity that is eSports, if "many pro players" are using hacks then how can anyone take any eSport seriously anymore. It's just as bad as steroid use in Real sports, if not worse!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,666   +776

I remember when I was a kid, about 9 years old, the company my father worked for bought a computer for $1,000,000 for their engineering department. It looked like a large telephone switchboard with cables and plugs that were arranged based upon the calculation needed. The classic joke on the company was when they hired a secretary in the accounting department that figured out how to process most of the information they needed on her adding machine. The engineers never really got the hang of the thing so the secretary became the new "computer". She stayed in that job for over 10 years, the computer got scraped and my dad sat back and watched the entire mess transpire. He finally learned the basics of computers before his death at 83 and would marvel at the information I was able to pull down for him on the stock market. I can only now sit back and watch so many innovations and wonder what the next BIG thing will be. I think when the CRAY comes up with a light based processor we'll be looking at computing powers in the 100+ teriflop range ... a computer that can answer our questions before we finish asking them!

TomSEA likes this.