Weekend tech reading: Can Marissa Mayer save Yahoo?

By Matthew
Aug 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Marissa Mayer is sitting in URLs, the Yahoo cafeteria, making the case for the future of a company that almost everyone in Silicon Valley views as doomed. Employees swarm around her, assembling rows of chairs for the afternoon's FYI, a...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,233   +315

Nice collection of articles. One of my favorite TechSpot columns each week.

Can Marissa Mayer save Yahoo? Not unless she does something with all the start-up companies she's been buying. Seems to me she's trying to create a Google clone without doing the work and has no master plan to do that other than snapping up other companies.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 773   +155

Marissa Mayer thats one saucy girl I would love to get my hands on....
    On another note lol Buying loads of companies and startups seems like she is trying to compensate or something like that I just dont see how that will increase revenue...
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

You're not the only one my friend, you're not the only one...

I believe she has a plan. You can't have a board of directors approve multi-million dollar purchases if there wasn't a goal in sight. As for execution, that of course remains to be seen. But I believe they are on the right track.
    cliffordcooley and wastedkill like this.
  5. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +128

I don't know, the article seemed to paint a pretty clear plan. She's trying to shift the company to focus on mobile and hopes that eventually the primary source of revenue will be from mobile sources. She has a list of areas she wants to target, and even stated that she won't get the company into mapping because other companies have such a head start.

That said, yes she definitely needs her newly bought services to integrate with each other and find a good marketing strategy to show what the new Yahoo! has to offer everyone.
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Obama Administration vetoes ban on sale of some Apple iPhones, iPads:

"citing concerns about patent holders gaining "undue leverage" as well as potential harm to consumers and competitive conditions in the U.S. economy"

OH. MAN. My jimmies are currently in a highly-rustled state. That is BS. inb4 Samsung fanboi, but I bet Apple gave someone a very nice 'package'...

That excuse is just plain ludicrous.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,241   +529

She probably knows what she's doing... Maybe she'll make Yahoo so successful in the future that she'll buy out Google.
  8. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

I Believe in Marissa :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.