Weekend tech reading: Companies to crackdown on robocalls, Apple-1 up for auction, DDR5 due in 2020

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AT&T, Apple, Google to work on 'robocall' crackdown More than 30 major technology and communication companies said on Friday they are joining the U.S. government to crack down on "robocalls," automated, prerecorded phone calls that regulators have labeled a "scourge." AT&T, Google parent Alphabet Inc, Apple Inc, Verizon Communications Inc and Comcast Corp are among members of the "Robocall Strike Force" that held its first meeting with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Reuters

Corning responds to that worrying Galaxy Note 7 scratch test video You've likely seen the video: Zack from JerryRigEverything performing his now-familiardurability test on the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. Surprisingly, he appears to leave visible scratches on the device's Gorilla Glass 5 with a metal pick that rates a 3 on Mohs scale of hardness -- "only one step above plastic," as Zack notes in the video. A new glass from Corning that appears to scratch much more easily than its predecessor is admittedly hot news, but as is often the case, the "scandal" may have gotten blown a little out of proportion. Android Authority

Nasa just made all its research available online for free Care to learn more about 400-foot tsunamis on Mars? Now you can, after Nasa announced it is making all its publicly funded research available online for free. The space agency has set up a new public web portal called Pubspace, where the public can find Nasa-funded research articles on everything from the chances of life on one of Saturn's moons to the effects of space station living on the hair follicles of astronauts. Independent | NASA

SLAC, Stanford gadget grabs more solar energy to disinfect water faster In many parts of the world, the only way to make germy water safe is by boiling, which consumes precious fuel, or by putting it out in the sun in a plastic bottle so ultraviolet rays will kill the microbes. But because UV rays carry only 4 percent of the sun’s total energy, the UV method takes six to 48 hours, limiting the amount of water people can disinfect this way. Now researchers at the Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford University have created a nanostructured device, about half the size of a postage stamp, that disinfects water... Stanford

The gif is dead. long live the gif. November 5, 1999, was Burn All GIFs Day. Had you visited its homepage that Friday, you would have seen the movement's game plan laid out as plainly as its name: "On Burn All GIFs Day, all GIF users will gather at Unisys and burn all their GIF files." This, alongside a selection of pointedly anti-GIF imagery -- all proudly PNG files. Despite the obvious joke of setting files on fire, acknowledged with a winking plea to "extinguish all GIFs before leaving the vicinity," the anger was real and the mission was earnest... Popular Mechanics

Eleven reasons to be excited about the future of technology In the year 1820, a person could expect to live less than 35 years, 94% of the global population lived in extreme poverty, and less that 20% of the population was literate. Today, human life expectancy is over 70 years, less that 10% of the global population lives in extreme poverty, and over 80% of people are literate. These improvements are due mainly to advances in technology, beginning in the industrial age and continuing today in the information age. Medium

Books you should read: Basic electronics I learned some basic electronics in high school physics class: resistors, capacitors, Kirchoff’s law and such, and added only what was required for projects as I did them. Then around 15 years ago I decided to read some books to flesh out what I knew and add to my body of knowledge. It turned out to be hard to find good ones. The electronics section of my bookcase has a number of what I’d consider duds, but also some gems. Hackaday

The World Series of hacking -- without humans On a raised floor in a ballroom at the Paris Hotel, seven competitors stood silently. These combatants had fought since 9:00am, and nearly $4 million in prize money loomed over all the proceedings. Now some 10 hours later, their final rounds were being accompanied by all the play-by-play and color commentary you'd expect from an episode of American Ninja Warrior. Yet, no one in the competition showed signs of nerves. Ars Technica

"I want to write video games" Do you? Do you really? Be honest with me. I mean, I don't want to shoot down your dream. There are lots of people who've done the research, who know exactly what they're getting into when they say this, and who spend years earnestly pursuing their goal. There are also lots of people who like the notion of getting into game development but figure they'll never have any real skills like programming or art so this is their best bet. Medium

People ignore software security warnings up to 90 percent of the time Software developers listen up: if you want people to pay attention to your security warnings on their computers or mobile devices, you need to make them pop up at better times. A new study from BYU, in collaboration with Google Chrome engineers, finds the status quo of warning messages appearing haphazardly -- while people are typing, watching a video, uploading files, etc. -- results in up to 90 percent of users disregarding them. Phys.org

Your Tesla is watching you -- whether or not you're watching the road In the wake of Tesla's first recorded autopilot crash, automakers are reassessing the risk involved with rushing semi-autonomous driving technology into the hands of distractible drivers. But another aspect of autopilot—its ability to hoover up huge amounts of mapping and "fleet learning" data -- is also accelerating the auto industry's rush to add new sensors to showroom-bound vehicles. Quartz

Airbus to build autonomous flying taxis Billing it as a solution to urban congestion, Airbus hasannounced a new effort to build helicopter-like autonomous flying vehicles to transport both small parcels and, even more radically, passengers. The battery-powered passenger vehicles, currently dubbed CityAirbus, would be summoned by smartphone and travel along aerial urban roadways, constituting a system of robotic flying taxis. Fortune

Extremely rare celebration Apple-1 computer The computer that sparked the revolution in home computing! This is the most unique, and quite possibly the first, Apple-1 ever created. The "Celebration" Apple-1 is an original Apple-1 pre-NTI board that has many unique features, period correct power supply, original Apple-1 ACI cassette board (also populated with Robinson Nugent sockets), early Apple-1 BASIC cassettes... CharityBuzz

DRAM will live on as DDR5 memory is slated to reach computers in 2020 Hardware experts believed the last DRAM would be the current DDR4, but that's not the case, with DDR5 memory now under development. Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a slide deck presented at the Intel Developer Forum this week. PCWorld

Hackers claim to be selling NSA cyberweapons in online auction The hacking world's attention was captivated Monday morning when a group called the Shadow Brokers claimed to have hacked the National Security Agency's Equation Group, a team of American hackers that have been described as both "omnipotent" and "the most advanced" threat cyberspace has ever seen. The Daily Dot

From Chrome Apps to the Web We have always believed in making the open, interoperable web as strong as possible. For a while there were certain experiences the web couldn’t provide, such as working offline, sending notifications, and connecting to hardware. We launched Chrome apps three years ago to bridge this gap. Chromium

Solid batteries improve safety Researchers at ETH Zurich have developed a lithium-ion battery made entirely of solid material: it contains neither liquids nor gels. The battery cannot ignite, even at very high temperatures, giving it a safety advantage over conventional batteries. In addition, they allow new forms of battery design. ETH Zurich

Stealing bitcoins with badges: How Silk Road's dirty cops got caught DEA Special Agent Carl Force wanted his money -- real cash, not just numbers on a screen -- and he wanted it fast. It was October 2013, and Force had spent the past couple of years working on a Baltimore-based task force investigating the darknet's biggest drug site, Silk Road. During that time, he had also carefully cultivated several lucrative side projects all connected to Bitcoin, the digital currency Force was convinced would make him rich. Ars Technica

Mozilla open design We're updating our brand identity using Mozilla open source principles, and everyone's invited. In this, our Concepting phase, we're narrowing from seven possible themes to a few concepts that will proceed to iterative design work. Your comments on the work in progress are welcome. Mozilla

Permalink to story.

Having worked for Corning and seen the fact they no longer make their highest quality glass for oven ware, I would tend to trust evaluation by Zack then any rebuttal by Corning. Zack appears to have used constant evaluation tests but considering that Corning is still selling their less rigid oven ware, still claiming it's the same thing, they have a documented history of deception. Does anyone know of any documented deception on the part of Zack?

"Stealing bitcoins with badges: How Silk Road’s dirty cops got caught"

That is precisely what everyone has to look for the day all citizen have to lay down arms. It may only amount to 5 bucks, but you will be taken advantage of. The percentage of dirty cops might be higher than you would think. Right now the cops fear us as much as we fear them. It is somewhat balanced with everyone having the right to bare arms.

Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a slide deck presented at the Intel Developer Forum this week.
That will likely be about the time I move forward with DDR4.

"Stealing bitcoins with badges: How Silk Road’s dirty cops got caught"

That is precisely what everyone has to look for the day all citizen have to lay down arms. It may only amount to 5 bucks, but you will be taken advantage of. The percentage of dirty cops might be higher than you would think. Right now the cops fear us as much as we fear them. It is somewhat balanced with everyone having the right to bare arms.

Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a slide deck presented at the Intel Developer Forum this week.
That will likely be about the time I move forward with DDR4.

I don't think the average citizen having a weapon is a deterrent to dirty cops. People have readily available camera's and a video is far more incriminating than any bullet. If it's really so bad that you need to keep a weapon on your person than there are bigger issues afoot.

People have readily available camera's and a video is far more incriminating than any bullet.
The police are already taking peoples cameras and deleting footage. And I'm not just talking one person going a-wall. If the whole system decides they don't care about your footage, there will be nothing you can do about it, because they are the ones holding you at gun point. Believe me they are only worried about our cameras while we still hold arms in our hand.

This is BS. I comment to articles all the time. Now all of a sudden I am being subscribed to them and getting notifications in email. And to top it off I reported one the other day and was notified that personnel rejected my report. I'm being told that if I have a complaint I should use the site feedback forum. Of which they will want to know which article is the one giving issues. Well if they hadn't of rejected my report they would know which ones I was having issues with. Now my comment will likely be removed furthering the we don't care attitude.

I'm surprised that you don't know what the report function is used for. Moderators have no control over website problems. If you want report a website issue, that's what the Site Feedback forum is for. But by all means, bury it in this thread.

No, that is what you think the button is for therefor it will never be anything more. You are the problem, I've seen others face your methods in frustration many times. The sad truth of it is that I wouldn't even feel the need to report anything if the sites code wasn't continuously being fingered. Makes me feel as if I'm a Beta tester here with all the upset involved.

I'm sorry you feel that your problem is my fault in some way. I tried to forward your report to an Admin (namely, Julio) so that he might handle it or assign it to relevant staff but the forum software doesn't let me.

My bare arms in Canada can't bear arms. You have it good (so far) in the USA

Back