TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: First smartphone turns 20, photorealism in UE4, the state of Android updates

By Matthew
Aug 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A tip of the hat to Simon, long referenced as the first smartphone. It went on sale to the public on August 16, 1994 and packed a touchscreen, email capability and more, paving the way for our modern-day wondergadgets. Here's a...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

Good selection of articles. I feel for developers - they're in a no-win situation as players get emotionally involved with their games, especially the big role-playing types. It is a guarantee that for whatever they include in a game, someone, somewhere isn't going to like it and will let the developers know about it in no uncertain terms. I've been known to drop an e-mail or two to developers who I felt were "ruining" their own games.

And that Unreal Engine 4 footage - short as it is, looks incredible. Looking forward to my new build next year which will be a 4k build just so I can take best advantage of incredible graphics with that engine.

3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Well, gotta say that the UE4 engine looks great for those simple objects...

Ranger12 likes this.
  4. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,904   +953

yes it does. All the "photorealism" gets thrown out the door for me once I see something with "high" polygon counts. It is still easy to see the edges on things that simply don't have edges. All the lighting effects in the world can't make up for crappy objects and textures.

5. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Besides the low poly count we also don't know what hardware this was rendered real-time on so other than being pretty to look at I think the demo is kind of pointless imo.