TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Intel's 72-core Xeon chip, AR contact lenses, fresh and failed predictions

By Matthew
Jan 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. In part one of our investigation into Knights Landing, we described several possible options for the CPU core and came to the conclusion that Intel probably designed a custom core for Knights Landing. Over the past few weeks, a number...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,945   +381

72 cores. For when your workstation needs to encode an entire day of security footage in 4k resolution in 20 minutes.

wastedkill likes this.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Or you have a hyper-v server...

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,945   +381

Yes but thats much less fun isnt it. It would be much more entertaining to laugh maniacally while my desktop solves the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

As for that yahoo article, that's why I use adblock plus. They wonder why you have to. Yahoo has been serving up malware for years. The Tribune website downloads actual viruses without it.

6. The heading of this article is wrong. The Real World Tech article states that: 'Knights Landing uses 72 “Silvermont” cores', which are used for 'Atom' not 'Xeon' processors. The Xeon cores, which are larger and more complex, haven't passed 16 cores per chip, as far as I'm aware. Knights Landing is Intel's 2nd iteration of the "failed as a gpu, sell it as massively parallel cpu" Knights Corner project, which is completely separate from Xeon.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.