Weekend tech reading: Larry Page's comeback, a DIY 'PiPhone', Windows to go subscription-based?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The inevitable arrival of subscription-based Windows The way Windows is developed and distributed is changing. Big releases every three years could be on the way out, replaced by regular releases and Windows subscriptions. Businesses may still be grappling with getting the user interface-adjusting Windows 8.1 Update deployed onto systems -- after complaints, Microsoft had to give them another 90 days to install it -- but there's no respite in sight. Indications are that there's going to be another big update for the operating system just a few months later. Ars Technica

Vogue-like: This season in wearable dreck Seldom do we praise gaming's Christian Diors and Giambattista Vallis, its Pradas and its Stella McCartneys. We don't often talk about the fashion icons of gaming, but we should -- because the right gamer ensemble can show the world that these tastemaking giants of our favourite passe-temps are never far from our hearts -- or our wallets. Truly, a well-crafted combination of brands, logos and tech accessories declares to one’s peers in no uncertain terms, "I am here. I am now. I am game." Paste

Inside the 'DarkMarket' prototype, a Silk Road the FBI can never seize The Silk Road, for all its clever uses of security protections like Tor and Bitcoin to protect the site's lucrative drug trade, still offered its enemies a single point of failure. When the FBI seized the server that hosted the market in October and arrested its alleged owner Ross Ulbricht, the billion-dollar drug bazaar came crashing down. If one group of Bitcoin black market enthusiasts has their way, the next online free-trade zone could be a much more elusive target. Wired

Inside the secret digital arms race: Facing the threat of a global cyberwar The team was badly spooked, that much was clear. The bank was already reeling from two attacks on its systems, strikes that had brought it to a standstill and forced the cancellation of a high profile IPO. The board had called in the team of security experts to brief them on the developing crisis. After listening to some of the mass of technical detail, the bank's CEO cut to the chase. "What should I tell the Prime Minister when I get to Cobra?" he demanded... Tech Republic

PiPhone -- a Raspberry Pi-based smartphone Here's my latest DIY project, a smartphone based on a Raspberry Pi. It's called -- wait for it -- the PiPhone. It makes use an Adafruit touchscreen interface and a Sim900 GSM/GPRS module to make phone calls. It’s more of a proof of concept to see what could be done with a relatively small form factor with off-the-shelf (cheap) components. I don’t expect everyone to be rushing out to build this one, but I had great fun in doing it, as it builds quite nicely on my previous projects... David Hunt

A first look at Gigabyte's next-gen Intel motherboards Brace yourself, because a batch of new motherboards based on Intel's next-gen chipsets is just around the corner. Gigabyte is prepping no fewer than 37 different models, almost all of which will be available stateside. I got a closer look at a bunch of them at a press event earlier this week. I can't divulge certain details just yet, but I can tell you about some motherboard-specific features. And I can show you pictures -- lots of pictures. The Tech Report

The untold story of Larry Page's incredible comeback One day in July 2001, Larry Page decided to fire Google’s project managers. All of them. It was just five years since Page, then a 22-year-old graduate student at Stanford, was struck in the middle of the night with a vision. In it, he somehow managed to download the entire Web and by examining the links between the pages he saw the world’s information in an entirely new way. What Page wrote down that night became the basis for an algorithm. Slate

Net Neutrality: A guide to (and history of) a contested idea This week, news broke that the Federal Communications Commission is considering new rules for how the Internet works. In short: the FCC would allow network owners (your Verizons, Comcasts, etc.) to create Internet "fast lanes" for companies (Disney, The Atlantic) that pay them more. For Internet activists, this directly violated the principle of net neutrality, which has been a hot-button issue in Silicon Valley for a long time. The Atlantic

Chat wars In the summer of 1998 I graduated from college and went to work as a programmer at Microsoft in Redmond, Washington. I was put on the group that was building MSN Messenger Service, Microsoft's instant messaging app. The terrible name came from Marketing, which had become something of a joke for always picking the clunkiest and least imaginative product names. Buddy List? C U C Me? MSN Messenger? No, MSN Messenger Service. I'll call it Messenger for short. N+1

"The Door Problem" Game design is one of those nebulous terms to people outside the game industry that's about as clear as the "astrophysicist" job title is to me. It's also my job, so I find myself explaining what game design means to a lot of people from different backgrounds, some of whom don’t know anything about games. I like to describe my job in terms of "The Door Problem" Premise: You are making a game. Are there doors in your game? Can the player open them? Liz England

One startup's struggle to survive the Silicon Valley gold rush It was an unseasonably warm December, and somewhere nearby a rising tide in the San Francisco Bay was lifting all kite-surfers, but Nick Edwards and Chris Monberg were crouched at opposite rented desks in a shared coworking space near the Caltrain station in SoMa wondering if, by the middle of February, they would still have a company. Wired

'A real inventor': UW's Gary Kildall, father of the PC operating system, honored for key work Growing up in California, Scott Kildall and his sister Kristin knew that their dad, Gary, was working on important things in the shack in their backyard. Little did they realize how important his work would become for the rest of us.GeekWire

Permalink to story.

37 Models in the new Gigabyte mobo range? The subtle differences between them, particularly their low-end offerings, are crazy. Hours of comparing models only to find that one has a HDMI port and the other DVI (for example), and sometimes the difference can't be identified at all.

Model madness.

"Gigabyte is prepping no fewer than 37 different models, almost all of which will be available stateside."

That's crazy. I don't get the reasoning other than they can afford to do this during their production process. But they'll need different packaging for each, instructions, possibly even a different BIOS, so there's a lot of R&D and money invested. I don't get the need. I could see around 8 or so total, maybe 4 for enthusiasts and the other 4 for standard desktops and HTPC's.

Where I shrug my shoulders is reading, about ATX motherboards with M.2 slots. In my mind, M.2 is a small form factor feature. Seems out of place on a large ATX board.

Every new piece of information I hear about the next Windows makes me sick. A subscription based Windows operating system? *puke*.

*sigh*. It looks like Windows on the desktop truly is dead. Windows is becoming nothing but a huge piece of worthless ******* ADWARE. Can someone recommend a good anti-virus software that will remove the next version of Windows from my system?

Windows 9, your stop one stop shopping application. 20 years of constant, steady, forward progress to end in a ******* quagmire of consumerization called 'Windows 8'. It's sad really.

Thanks in advance

Every new piece of information I hear about the next Windows makes me sick. A subscription based Windows operating system? *puke*.

*sigh*. It looks like Windows on the desktop truly is dead. Windows is becoming nothing but a huge piece of worthless ******* ADWARE. Can someone recommend a good anti-virus software that will remove the next version of Windows from my system?

Windows 9, your stop one stop shopping application. 20 years of constant, steady, forward progress to end in a ******* quagmire of consumerization called 'Windows 8'. It's sad really.

Thanks in advance
You could try Linux. And there are ways of running windows programs on a Linux OS (one being a program called WINE I believe).

You could try Linux. And there are ways of running windows programs on a Linux OS (one being a program called WINE I believe).

I really like the way Linux has evolved over the past few years. It seems much more stable, easy to install, and user friendly. I love the live versions you can boot up into straight off the flash drive with full internet support. The first version of Linux I ever did that on was Knoppix and it was very impressive. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and I am getting ready to try the latest version of Makulu.

Windows has been heading straight into an iceberg for awhile now and it seems they are hell bent on hitting it. I thought with the new CEO at the helm they might go back to listening to their customers.

Oh well, I guess the only thing I can do is wait to see what happens. I am still running Windows 7. I passed on Windows 8. I can easily do the same with Windows 9 if the pros do not outweigh the cons of upgrading. I am not going to turn my whole ******* life upside down for a new operating system because, "Hey, Look! IT BOOT FASTER!!!. LOL. Life is like a box of chocolates, you neva know what you ah gonna get!". Click-click-boom!

Paying for service packs because Microsoft releases buggy code? Hell no. Not unless the full base operating system cost a tenth of what it used to. But the pricing alone is far from enough to win me over. So many factors. It comes down to the overall experience and ideology behind the operating system I guess. Storing all my files in the cloud? Hell no. Having to "log-in" to Windows and having it track my *** each time I do so? Hell no. The direction of Windows reminds me so much of government. Taking away more control and choice away from the people who paid for their software and trying to turn us into slaves to their code. An operating system should give you freedom, not imprison you.

Pretty soon will be no different than a Playstation 3 where everything is locked down tighter than a maximum security prison where the user experience is akin to be prodded in the *** through a linear path with a hot stocker becuase "JULIE LARSON didn't want me to have to make any tough decisions." Thanks Julie. I love you!!! B****!!!!!

The future of Windows will be interesting. I just don't know yet whether I will care to be a part of it....or not.

Last edited:
I am not going to turn my whole ******* life upside down for a new operating system because, "Hey, Look! IT BOOT FASTER!!!. LOL.
LOL, indeed!!! Really, your whole life turned up side? Well, Fresh prince, it seems you are easily confused and I doubt that's because of a few changes to an operating system. You don't happen to live in Bel Air do you?
Paying for service packs because Microsoft releases buggy code? Hell no. Not unless the full base operating system cost a tenth of what it used to.
Oh, allow me to bow down to you almighty god of coding, whose code is so perfect angles sing when you type. pfft.... No one is infallible when it comes to coding, and yes, that includes Microsoft. Oh, and newsflash, their OS is a tenth of the cost it used to be. It's so cheap I bought two for original the price of Windows 7.
The future of Windows will be interesting. I just don't know yet whether I will care to be a part of it....or not.
Why wait? Go now, as you so obviously want to.

LOL, indeed!!! Really, your whole life turned up side? Well, Fresh prince, it seems you are easily confused and I doubt that's because of a few changes to an operating system. You don't happen to live in Bel Air do you?

Oh, allow me to bow down to you almighty god of coding, whose code is so perfect angles sing when you type. pfft.... No one is infallible when it comes to coding, and yes, that includes Microsoft. Oh, and newsflash, their OS is a tenth of the cost it used to be. It's so cheap I bought two for original the price of Windows 7.

Why wait? Go now, as you so obviously want to.

Because they have pledged to support Windows 7 through the year 2020 so there is no hurry to go. Microsoft's game to lose...not mine. I am under no contractual obligation to buy any version of their future operating systems ever again if I so choose to decline. If they don't MAKE me want it. If they dont COMPEL me to want it then...I won't want it. So whatever they do I'll surive. Again, it's their game to lose, not mine.

I am still running Windows 7. I passed on Windows 8. I can easily do the same with Windows 9 if the pros do not outweigh the cons of upgrading.

You and I are in the same boat. I'm waiting on Steam OS to rise (aka: release date) or fall before I make a decision to learn Linux.

Thanks in advance
Just got my new PC build up and running and went for Windows 7. I was not amused that I accidentally updated to IE 11. Anyway I discovered how to undue the update and went to the MS website to load IE 9. I entered 'Internet Explorer 9' into search which brought up a web page with instructions on how to load IE9. This had a link to to download IE9 however the link page had the following message 'Looking for Internet Explorer 9? Good news! There's a faster, safer version of Internet Explorer for your PC—and it's free'. This only had links to IE11.

At the bottom of the page was the following question 'Was this page helpful?'. My reply was not repeatable in polite company. I did eventually track down IE 9 download but they clearly want to put obstacles in the way.

Just in case anyone is thinking why would someone want to install IE 9 instead of IE 11, I have a very good reason for my madness. The company my wife works for now insists that holidays etc are booked on the company Intranet. Unfortunately the Intranet only works in IE 9!

The company my wife works for now insists that holidays etc are booked on the company Intranet. Unfortunately the Intranet only works in IE 9!
I do hope you understand that this is by no means Microsoft's fault. Just like with Windows XP, they have been telling people for a long time to update. This is directly as a result of lazy company's not wanting to put in the effort to support the latest offerings. There is also a way to force IE9 which I use on all badly coded websites, but you must be running the development tools (F12) for IE11 to do it.

The company my wife works for now insists that holidays etc are booked on the company Intranet. Unfortunately the Intranet only works in IE 9!
I do hope you understand that this is by no means Microsoft's fault. Just like with Windows XP, they have been telling people for a long time to update. This is directly as a result of lazy company's not wanting to put in the effort to support the latest offerings. There is also a way to force IE9 which I use on all badly coded websites, but you must be running the development tools (F12) for IE11 to do it.
I don't buy your argument as to me a web browser should retain backward compatibility. The company is not being lazy as they are relying on a third party software corporation namely Oracle.

Back