TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Oculus Rift DK2 & OS X Yosemite previewed, Destiny compared on PS4/XO

By Matthew
Jul 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. So, the DK2 is here and I've spent the day with it. Ahead of our detailed review of the unit, which will land soon, I wanted to share some quick thoughts and impressions with you. The DK2 VR Headset is a quality piece...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,547   +2,346

They plan to release the full version of the game at full 1080p on both systems, so any PS4/XBO graphical comparison of the Destiny beta is pointless. Furthermore, these are consoles. Graphics comparisons are for overpriced gaming cards, not dedicated and inflexible game boxes.

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Sounds like an angry XBONE fanboy. See I've learned talk is cheap. They can say it will be ready at release, they can say 60 fps and 1080P but until I see it, I don't believe it. They themselves might even fool themselves into believing that it actually will be ready as its supposed to, but just saying, my bet for the higher quality experience is the current higher quality experience.

Gotta hate the imprecision of the article that looks at google queries to examine the iphone data conspiracy. Give me something a bit more reputable so that I can start going around and saying confidently and definitively that Apple throttles its phones to antagonize people to upgrade.

4. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

It may not be deliberate but I have 1st hand experience what can happen to an older iPhone should you update the OS. My daughters iPhone 3G worked fine until she updated the OS. From that point onwards she would suffer from the phone throwing her out of Apps on a regular basis. Needless to say we were nagged on an equally regular basis that she needed an upgrade!

Someone from work had issues with an iPhone 4 which worked fine until a new OS was loaded. The wireless stopped working and Apple wanted a fortune to fix the problem. In the end a solution was found on the internet which cost nothing but a bit of time.

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,547   +2,346

The only consoles I've ever owned are from Sony and Nintendo. Whether they are able to optimize Destiny to run at1080p/60fps on the XBO is irrelevant. The comparison they've done with the beta remains pointless because the final product on XBO isn't going to look like that.

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow the Xbox One graphics stink in comparison! Hopefully they sort it out before release like they are saying they would.

As for the Yosemite Beta, I put it on a VB VM (after a lot of tinkering) and it runs like garbage. I don't want to risk my main Mac for it and I don't really want to make a partition for it. I guess I will wait :(.

7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

That Oculus box remains to be one ugly product, compared to Sony VR that is. Surely with billions in backing they should come up with something more pleasing aesthetically.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

VR may be the future but I see no reason to invest in it until it's been around for a few years.

9. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,179   +72

Blurred lines: Are YouTubers breaking the law?

Interesting article. I guess I should start a YouTube channel for supplemental income. :)

10. ET3D

I imagine they will for the final product. I think that for dev kits they justly focus on technical aspects first.

11. ET3D

And Matthew, thanks for posting these interesting links every week. I like your choice and I think it's one of the best features of TechSpot.