TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Prototype ambulance drone, DARPA's 1THz IC, Xbox 360+One 'Xbook' mod

By Matthew
Nov 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's been well-established (and then some) that drones are ruthlessly efficient at taking lives, but given everything else they've shown they can do, there's no reason to believe that unmanned aerial vehicles can't save lives, too......

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

That ambulance drone is very cool.

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,562   +2,368

Say what you want about its aesthetic appeal, it still looks like a Cylon. It can't be trusted.

4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

I bet the first thing they're gonna do is sticking AD-s on those drones. In the context of that picture, The Walking Dead would be appropriate :)

After watching the clip,...I find it ridiculous that the whole thing is based on the girl making a medical prognosis on what is wrong with her dad. This is not gonna fly. It is simply irresponsible.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It is just a drone that transports a defibrillator it isn't like it is carrying a stretcher... also it is just a concept. Why so skeptical lol...

6. davislane1

Don't play non-fantasy with me. You know just as well as I do it is only a firmware update away from self-awareness and galactic domination.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

This YouTube is just so corrupt now! I just noticed that all the negative responses to that drone video were removed. All of them!

People were making valid points about the failure around the idea, so was I, and they just deleted them all. Screw them and their drone crap!

8. davislane1

What on earth are you on about? I just checked the video comments and at least 25% of them are critical of the concept, ranging from legitimate DNR concerns to the typical "these morons didn't [oversight]" nonsense.

Edit: For instance, your own comment (assuming you are Vitaly Tomilov):
    "This is not a good idea. Based on the assumption that a person without any medical knowledge would make an accurate prognosis to know what emergency procedure to apply. This is wrong from both medical point of view and legally."

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    VitalyT likes this.
  9. User0

User0 TS Rookie

This is why an EADs are designed to be foolproof.

It will walk you though checking for obvious things (e.g. blocked passage ways, any breathing). It will tell you how to apply the pads correctly. After you do that the EADs will analyse the heart beat (if any is present). It will NOT deliver any shock if when not needed.

And that is ignoring that many people will have had basic training, which is a rising number,

10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Re: ambulance drone. Nice to see a technology designed to deliver death now being developed to save lives. Usually the use of tech is the other way around.