TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Satya Nadella on MS' future, new CISPA-like bill, DA: Inquision gameplay video

By Matthew
Jul 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. As we start FY15, I want to thank you for all of your contributions this past year. I'm proud of what we collectively achieved even as we drove significant changes in our business and organization. It's energizing to feel the...

Read more

2. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 315   +93

It boggles my mind how people like Feinstein and the vast majority of the legislative branch continue to get reelected when they show literally time after time they give no ****s about their constituents.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,901

Bold Ambition & Our Core - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html
    They lost me right there. As much as I would like to say the cloud is not where we are headed, I would be a fool to say it. And with that said; that is not where I think we should go, but that is where the industry and government wants to take us. Everyone could have their own personal cloud, that power/process for all their handheld devices. But then how would that help the industry/government monitor us.

There definition of cloud is too public for me. There is nothing personal about the cloud and never will be. There is nothing secure about the cloud and you would be a fool to think otherwise. I'm not going to risk loosing access to my files because some service was frozen or worse, permanently shut down.

On another note the Cloud is about like Taxi services. Cloud will only be found usable in high populated areas. In low populated areas, the Could will be less accessible in public and people will opt not to use it were they do have access. We lack a bridge between PC's and cellular service, or widespread wireless hotspots for accessing the cloud. Besides the Internet infrastructure is not strong enough to support the Cloud in everyone's home.

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

"Alcatel-Lucent sets new world record broadband speed of 10 Gbps for transmission of data over traditional copper telephone lines"

So Fiber Optic cables now mean.. what exactly?

Jad Chaar and cliffordcooley like this.
  5. cliffordcooley

@wastedkill, thats an interesting question.

And it also raises the question of when everyone will see these speeds as an option on their current land-line connections. As it is the downside to Fiber Optic is availability, where nearly everyone currently has a land-line available to them.

Edit:
    Doesn't this have a short range which also requires fiber optics as the main backbone. Therefore reducing the cost in connection/maintenance for fiber system deployment.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,708   +1,887

When you come right down to it the nutritional supplement industry is pretty much a "dirty trick", in and of itself.

They're constantly making claims of medicinal properties for dietary supplements, while completely avoiding having to support those claims by claiming immunity from the FDA, because then, they start claiming their products are, "foods" again.

So, "medicines" when you're advertising these products, which then revert to being "foods", when the government calls you to task on those claims. Pretty sweet racket, is it not?

"Ubervita"....really? It sounds like their advertising director wastes a hour of company time every day, sitting on the can, reading this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche After all, you can't have the "uberman", if you don't give your kids, "uber-vitamins"

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  7. cliffordcooley

I don't have a problem with that. Anyone making a negative (or positive for that matter) review should have balls of steel and stand behind what they said. Or face consequences of a crime, as punishable as false advertising.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  8. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Fiber optic cables have a far longer range than traditional copper media. Essentially, you can transmit signals over fiber over a longer distance before that signal needs to be amplified.

9. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

As long as someone is verified to have owned the product, I don't care if they choose to leave a review anonymously. My issue is with people who've never bought something leaving BS reviews about it.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. cliffordcooley

@Nima304, that is a good point!

11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Yea right, it requires bonding, meaning two copper pairs. Maximum length is 30m and it was achieved in laboratory conditions. Good luck replicating that with your telcos 20 year old copper lines outside in the rain, with 20 other subscribers on the same telephone line!

Infact they can't even do 100m with a simple gigabit connection.
    Normal CAT6a Ethernet can do 100m at 10Gbps over copper cables.
    A single strand fiber can do 20km at 1Gbps, and that is duplex if sending & receiving on different wavelengths.
    Cost for the sender and transmitter is less than $100

TomSEA and cliffordcooley like this.
  12. cliffordcooley

@Per Hansson, I'm glad someone can keep us straight with the facts.

13. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

I agree, its really ridiculous on newegg, amazon, or wherever when I read reviews about a product then I don't see verified owner or that the complaints are something that seem peculiar in an of itself. Its really pathetic when people write false reviews on a product they have never tried or based off an experience with a past product and they think that they can just hide behind that computer screen with no consequences.

There should be consequences to this, it can hurt companies products and detour a purchase.

14. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Plus if someone is leaving a bad review, it should be feedback, not really bashing the product (unless of course, the product is legit garbage or the reviewer is a you know what).

15. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

Which is why Nadella's direction is the right one. He's not there to go against the grain, he's there to make Microsoft successful, and try to do that by making what people need. Making mobile and cloud more convenient and more secure is exactly what people need. It may not be the best thing for them, if you consider privacy, but it's what people do and they're unlikely to stop, so might as well make the best of it, for both Microsoft and its users.

That doesn't mean that I'm completely enthusiastic about this direction, but I certainly appreciate things he said, such as making Windows the most secure OS and universal Windows apps.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. cliffordcooley

You lost me right there. Need! Do we absolutely need anything more than we already have? I think not! It is not the peoples desires that MS is following. Consumers are simply followers, they do not have leading capabilities.

17. ET3D

Yes, we need more security in our current use, which is what Nadella says MS will try to offer. That's certainly something that we need. If MS can make things simpler to use, that's also something that's good.

As for the last part MS has proved time and again that it follows what people want. It's made decisions numerous times and went back after consumers didn't agree with them. Consumers certainly make their voice heard, either online or with their wallet. Consumers certainly show appreciation for form, functionality and price (usually not all of these at the same time).

18. cliffordcooley

That is laughable at little they listen and how long it is before they think they can change it again.

19. ET3D

Show me one company which is listening more. Perhaps MS is making more mistakes than others, but they've gone back on quite a few decisions. Take as a recent example the unbundling of Kinect. That shows the power consumers have.