TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: The 21-year-old behind Oculus VR, a 3D-printed house, Ubuntu 14.04 beta

By Matthew
Mar 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. On March 26, Facebook announced that it was purchasing Oculus VR, the company Luckey started in 2012, in a deal worth $2 billion. The social-networking giant is getting top-flight engineering expertise as well as the technology behind the...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,970   +586

It is a very sad affair what too much money does to us, and whether this 21-year old will ever create anything again, now that he is filthy-rich in such young age, and the little money that I have says "not likely". Time will tell.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,188   +244

The owner/maker of Oculus is a 21yr old... never expected that lol, I am 22 and if I had that amount of cash ($2bill) I could easily turn it into $100bill in just 10yrs.

4. VitalyT

...by publishing rubbish on Techspot, I'd wager? ;) Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think they got the kind of money to pay you though... :)

5. wastedkill

I posted this article..... and they already pay $2.5k a month...

6. VitalyT

Anybody from Techspot will second this? :)

7. wastedkill

No point no one wants to double post articles...

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,054   +918

"Chief scientist" <-- lol.

Matthew and cliffordcooley like this.
  9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,367   +405

Software patching of spacecraft and rovers must be absolutely nerve-wracking. I know that every time I do just a BIOS tweak I can barely look to see if my PC will boot up again. Imagine doing it to a spacecraft millions of miles away. If that sucker turns into a brick with your software patching, there's who knows how many millions of dollars, tens of thousands of man-hours of work plus research benefit just flushed down the toilet.

wastedkill likes this.
  10. wastedkill

Not just that but imagine all your systems life support, lighting, toiletry etc. all being unavailable due to an update sent from earth breaking your space station.

11. VitalyT

Imagine some last bit that defines one of the two directions in which your toilet works, and call it the irony of life ;)

12. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 989   +31

"How sleep deprivation drives the high failure rates of tech startups" - interesting idea, but the article degenerated really quickly into discussing the product ideas, and that has nothing to do with sleep deprivation (which might affect the end quality and how long it takes to implement the idea).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.