Weekend tech reading: Verizon to close its email service, first Windows 10 ARM PCs coming...

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

We have decided to close down our email business. We have decided to close down our email business. Over the years we’ve realized that there are more capable email platforms out there. As a result, we’ve made a decision to get out of the email business, which will allow us to focus our energies in providing you with the best in Internet and TV experiences. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. All customers will be given two options on how to handle their email going forward, including the ability to keep their verizon.net email address. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Use any other email provider” to complete the setup. Verizon.com

One-upping the NES Classic Edition with the Raspberry Pi 3 and RetroPie Against my better judgment, I’ve tried a couple of times to snag one of those adorable little $60 mini NES Classic Editions—once when Amazon put some of its limited stock online and crashed its own site, and once when Walmart was shipping out small quantities every day a couple of weeks ago. In both cases, I failed. But the dumb itch of nostalgia can’t always be scratched by logical thoughts like “do you really need to pay money for Super Mario Bros. 3 again...” Ars Technica

The Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X (375GB) Review: Testing 3D XPoint Performance Intel's new 3D XPoint non-volatile memory technology, which has been on the cards publically for the last couple of years, is finally hitting the market as the storage medium for Intel's new flagship enterprise storage platform. The Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X is a PCIe SSD using the standard NVMe protocol, but the use of 3D XPoint memory instead of NAND flash memory allows it to deliver great throughput and much lower access latency than any other NVMe SSD. AnandTech

Qualcomm: First Windows 10 ARM PC coming in the fourth quarter If you want a Windows 10 PC that doesn’t have an x86 chip from Intel or AMD, your wish will be granted in the fourth quarter. Qualcomm said the first cellular laptop with Windows 10 and its ARM-based Snapdragon 835 will come by the end of the year. “Our Snapdragon 835 is expanding into mobile PC designs running Windows 10,” and it’s scheduled to launch in the fourth quarter, said Steve Mollenkopf, CEO of Qualcomm... PCWorld

Linux PC builder System76 plans to design, manufacture its own hardware System76 is one of only a handful of PC vendors that exclusively sells computers with Linux-based software. Up until now, that’s meant the company has chosen hardware that it could guarantee would work well with custom firmware and the Ubuntu Linux operating system. But unlike larger PC companies (think Acer, Apple, Asus, Dell, Lenovo, and HP), System76... Liliputing

How cybercrooks put the beatdown on my beats Last month Yours Truly got snookered by a too-good-to-be-true online scam in which some dirtball hijacked an Amazon merchant’s account and used it to pimp steeply discounted electronics that he never intended to sell. Amazon refunded my money, and the legitimate seller never did figure out how his account was hacked. But such attacks are becoming more prevalent of late as crooks increasingly turn to online crimeware services that make it a cakewalk to cash out stolen passwords. Krebs on Security

Harry Huskey, pioneering computer scientist, is dead at 101 Harry Huskey, one of the last surviving scientists in the vanguard of the computer revolution, who helped develop what was once billed as the first personal computer because it took only one person to operate, though it was the size of two refrigerators, died on April 9 at his home in Santa Cruz, Calif. He was 101. The NY Times

Bleszinski: “AAA is a nearly unsustainable model” The AAA model in increasingly developing into a market in which only the biggest companies can survive - and even then the design of these titles will become more stagnant. That's according to Boss Key Productions founder and Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski. Speaking to attendees at Reboot Develop today, the veteran games developer discussed the "really, really weird spot" blockbuster games have found themselves in, and pondered potential solutions. GamesIndustry.biz

How much do video game companies make off DLC and add-ons? Around $5B a year The typical price tag for a full-fledged console or PC video game is around $60, but rare is the game that doesn’t also include an array of add-ons — everything from additional game content to new characters to outfits to in-game currency. It’s become such a popular practice that this “extra” stuff is now larger than some entire industries. The Consumerist

Pushing the boundaries of common sense reveals Hitman’s true depth. Time for the rubber duck challenge From the hands-on fibre wire to the long-range sniper rifle and everything in between, a life of assassination is a playground filled with deadly toys. Even something as basic as a screwdriver serves multiple purposes, as a diversion, a means to rig a trap or simply as a substitute for a dagger. There are so many options, but today I just want to know one thing: how far can I get using only an exploding rubber duck? Gamesradar

The Windows Store still sucks The Windows 10 Creators Update rolled out last week, and for the most part, we're pretty happy with it. There's a nice new Night Light setting that adjusts color temperature at different times of day to help reduce eye strain, troubleshooters and security features have all been moved into central hubs, and though we haven't had a chance to extensively test it yet, Game Mode is a promising new feature that could potentially help players on lower-spec systems. PC Gamer

IOT security is hard: Here’s what you need to know Security for anything you connect to the internet is important. Think of these devices as doorways. They either allow access to services or provides services for someone else. Doorways need to be secure — you wouldn’t leave your door unlocked if you lived in the bad part of a busy city, would you? Every internet connection is the bad part of a busy city. Hackaday

DRM for the Web is a bad idea The W3C has been considering a new standard: Encrypted Media Extensions (EME). I asked our crawler folks what the impact of the EME proposal could be to us, and what they came back with seems well reasoned but strongly negative to our mission. I have posted the analysis below for the public to consider. Internet Archive

I have found a secret tunnel that runs underneath the phone companies and emerges in paradise Calyx is a famous, heroic, radical ISP that has been involved in groundbreaking litigation -- they were the first company to ever get a secret Patriot Act warrant unsealed, fighting for 11 years to overturn the gag order. Boing Boing

Power meter for the entire apartment In the weekend I wanted to do something fun for improving the visibility of energy consumption. I ended up with a nice LED display that shows usage in realtime and some cool charts on my phone. Bogdan's Ramblings

Permalink to story.

Back