TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Wi-Fi speed record broken, Doom photoshopped, Yahoo-Tumblr deal?

By Julio Franco
May 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Think your network is fast? Getting a gigabyte-sized movie over your local wireless network to your hard drive in a few seconds is old hat. Now there’s a network that can push a 2-hour, high-definition movie to a computer a...

Read more

2. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

That doom video was awesome!

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,080   +920

The next barrier for wifi will now be range.

4. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

40 GB a second speed would fill up my 7 TeraBytes of hard drive space in no time yikes.

5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

I only get a couple of megabytes a second over wifi o.O

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 587   +34

Wi-Fi Network Breaks Speed Record -> Wouldn't the higher frequency be more susceptible to being blocked by objects? Would it require more energy to transmit? Not sure about all the gritty details but still impressed by the speed

7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,006   +103

Foxconn factories are making progress, but working hours still exceed Chinese laws Employees at the Chinese factories of Apple supplier Foxconn continue to work beyond the country's legal limit of 49 hours a month, according to a report from the Fair Labor Association (FLA).

Lazy bastids. I work 42 hours a week!

8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,602   +357

Yahoo-Tumblr deal has been "confirmed" for $1.1 billion all cash.

Funny how valuations work, Instagram $1 billion, Tumblr $1.1 billion. Do you perceive either one as considerable more valuable over the other?

And please, don't say "sure, Tumblr for 0.1 billion more" :)

9. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +114

Yeah keep dreaming, there's a typo in the first paragraph that was linked here on techspot, further down the page, if you read a little, it says "Chinese labor laws limit working hours to only 40 per week, plus an additional 9 hours for overtime. " 49 hours a month would be absurd, let alone unrealistic.

Typo Fixed

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,184   +177

Foxconn "49 hours a month"... link baiting?

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,051   +970

You know, I counted 17 separate scripts trying to run on that "Business Insider" page. Everybody seems determined to put their nose up your a** . Facebook, et al.

Ol' Neil is sort of a pedant anyway, so I didn't think it worthwhile to let that many people know I was there. Maybe he'll be on PBS at fundraising time, then I can just change the channel.

12. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,967   +738

Personally I'd see more advantage in Tumblr. Instagram would have a wider casual (and highly mobile) user base, but the personal blog aspect Tumblr, along with the wider variety of media that can be hosted/shared would make it more attractive for me.
    The valuations would seem to depend upon user numbers versus versatility at this stage. It will be interesting to see how (if?) they evolve and possibly further overlap in operation.

13. hahahanoobs

*sigh*
    It was a joke at the expense of the typo, to expose the typo.

Amigosdefox likes this.
  14. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

That's a really well done doom photoshop.

15. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 208   +18

And then he got the typo reversed when he said, "49 hours a week would be absurd, let alone unrealistic."

16. hahahanoobs

You just repeated what Adhmuz said.

17. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Enthusiast Posts: 208   +18

Yes . . . that's who I was quoting. He's fixed it in his post now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.