Weird 0x0000009c Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

Recently I started getting bluescreens after starting Windows XP on my PC.
It starts up just fine and I see Icq and Antivir starting, then my mouse cursor freezes and suddenly this bluescreen appears.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screens appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware and software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactorer for any windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disbable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

TECH INFO: ***STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545ff0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)
(a little shortened)

The weird thing about it is, sometimes it helped turning off my Pc and then restarting it and Windows was working again, but after the next restart the same old bluescreen appeared again.

I haven't made any changes to my Hardware or Software, not even installed any new games, so I have absolutely no clue what could've started this.

I tried re-installing Windows (boot from CD, install new Windows, format old partition, etc.), but when I reach the 'Welcome' screen, where you usually pick your profile, the same old bluescreen appears again.

I've already tried to remove my RAM and replace it with a new one, nothing changed. Re-installed Windows again, nothing changed.

Any kind of help would be highly appriciated. :)

(Sorry for my bad English)

- Wunderbaum

ps. I'm writing this from a friend's Pc. Trying to get the names of my components, but it's quite difficult when you can't remember them and you can't use Windows. ;)

Hi, Zip up a few minidumps located in the C:/Windows/minidumps folder and attach them to this thread and we will look at them and see what is causing your crashes.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

A bugcheck of 9C indicates some kind of hardware failure. See below.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

You will need to diagnose which hardware is causing the problem. This can be difficult, time consuming and sometimes expensive, if you don`t have parts you can swap out.

Make sure nothing is overclocked and disconnect anything not required to run your system.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Couldn't get Windows started, so there was no way to upload the minidumps, sorry.

The problem was my SB Live which is now disconnected from my mainboard and I'm now using onboard sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back