Weird computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiberOptics

Hello. I recently went to go start up my computer and have been having a weird issue. I think it is video card related but Id like other peoples opinions. Let me just note that sometimes my computer "kind of works" and sometimes it just doesnt. I will explain what i mean by "kind of works" in a bit. When I start my computer no picture comes up on the screen, i do get a beep code, and the first time it will beep one long beep, followed by around 3 short beeps... Then it will do the same beeps again but it will just be 4 short. I have the Phoenix award bios. Now that is what happens when It "doesnt" work. When it somewhat works, it will pull up the picture, and i see my bios screen, but then when it goes about to load the windows screen, it stays black again. The thing that is weird is when this is all happening SOMETIMES my optical mouse lights up, sometimes it doesnt, same with my keyboard. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Look up the beep codes. They tell you most of what you need to know... You either have a driver problem, requiring an uninstall of disable, followed by a reinstall... or you have a defective video card or memory module which should be replaced.
Suspect the optical mouse and other weird things are caused by the basic failure of whatever it is...
What is the computer brand and model, or the motherboard and hardware configuration.
How old are all the components.

raybay said:
Look up the beep codes. They tell you most of what you need to know... You either have a driver problem, requiring an uninstall of disable, followed by a reinstall... or you have a defective video card or memory module which should be replaced.
Suspect the optical mouse and other weird things are caused by the basic failure of whatever it is...
What is the computer brand and model, or the motherboard and hardware configuration.
How old are all the components.

The motherboard is a ASUS M2n-E sli, amd 5000+ processor, and a 6600 GT video card.

My video card is probably my oldest component, PSU, motherboard, CPU, is all less then a year old

Yeah my computer has corrupted file in it.It's saying this>>>C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1Temp\Plugtmp-1 is corrupt and unreadable.
Please run the chkdsk utility.

@sadgirl33 what are you talking about?
You need to create your own thread, this one is about beep code error!

@FiberOptics did you check my reply?

Ok. I had a old radeon 7000 video card laying around, it is just PCI. I decided to throw it in my computer to see what would happened... It worked with that video card, booted into windows and everything. So i Decided to buy a new video card since it seems that was the problem. I put it in my computer and i still get the 1 long beep, 3 short beeps. Any other suggestions, I will also try a new keyboard for whoeevr suggested it. Thanks in advanced. Also disregard the portion of my post previously where i said how many beeps it gave me. I forgot the CPU power connector on my motherboard was broken so I had to switch it to another power connector, which is why it gave me the 4 extra beeps, those were always there. It is actually 1 long beep, 3 short.

1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory

I got that directly from a site for my bios. It says video adapter failure. Now I had my 6600 GT in my computer and i started having this problem, then I bought a 8600 GTS and i still have the problem. I decided to grab my VERY old radeon 7000 which is PCI not PCI-E. I put that in my computer and it DID work. So is it possible that my PCI-E slot is busted? I will note though, if i leave my computer off for a bit, and go back later and turn it on, sometimes it magically works with my 8600 OR my 6600 in the PCI-E slot, or sometimes if i just keep restarting it, it will eventually work (maybe once every 20 restarts, i dont like those odds!)

Edit: I tried taking my keyboard out for the person above whom asked me to do it, still no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back