Weird connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeParadoX

Recently ( about a few weeks ) I have been getting new wireless connections from my computer, Before there was only 1 but now there is 2 ( sometimes even 3 or 4 )

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I have a linksys router I got from Best Buy awhile back

There are probably neighbors of yours who have recently put in wireless routers, as well, and you are now seeing them. Note that they probably also can see your router and you should enable security for it.

you're lucky there's only two; in my neighborhood there's SIX wireless users.

go to your router configuration page using your browser.
find the wireless configuration page and CHANGE THE SSID from linksys to something you like.

you should enable some form of encryption.

LOL...I have my work laptop set up for wireless connectivity when I am working from home. When I am in the office, I use a wired connection, but leave the wireless option on. I sometimes have seen as many as ten other wireless networks around this office building (and possibly neighboring ones.) Amazing how many are out there, these days. My home neighborhood has four wireless networks within range of me.

jobeard said:
you're lucky there's only two; in my neighborhood there's SIX wireless users.

go to your router configuration page using your browser.
find the wireless configuration page and CHANGE THE SSID from linksys to something you like.

you should enable some form of encryption.

How do I go to the config page from my browser?

poertner_1274 said:
Assuming you haven't changed anything you should type in http://192.168.1.1

Then browse for a wireless section and have a look around at some of the security features available.

It says I need a username and password when I type http://192.168.1.1 into browser, my mom got my friend who works at geek squad to install it and set up the security for it so I don't know the PW and Username

Have mom complain that mr geek didn't document his work and left you without
a usable configuration!

That ought to get them back on site w/o extra charges :)

The Geek guy may have left the login password as the defaults for Linksys, which is:

Login: admin1

Pwd: (leave entirely blank)

Worth trying it, anyway.

Actually, on my router, that info is on the bottom of the router. Not sure if it is the same here..also worth a look (of course assuming it hasn't been changed)

On my linksys the default was blank username and admin as the password, or the other way around....

Ok I went into the setup and there was no security for the wireless part :blush:

Which security do I put it?

WPA/WPA2 Personal
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
WEP

Also I did find out my neighbor has wireless, our houses are really close together so I probably picked up her living room connections :D

Ok well I put it to WPA and made a extremely long password, would that be good enough or should I do something else?

that will be just fine :)

btw: instead of difficult and 'logn' password, use a proper english sentence
eg; When all else fails -- follow the instructions!
they call it a passphrase

Absolutely! :)

Make it something memorible to you/your family, just recall that the WiFi
system that attempts to access your SSID, will need to enter that phrase
into a text box that will NOT SHOW what is being typed, so you need to
be careful and able to type it in verbatum with out seeingwhat has ALREADY been typed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back